Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Livens Flame Projector

bigjohn

cheers John

Rich

Guys;

Will that pop up on U-Tube, or something else that we on the other side of the Big Pond can eventually view?

Bob Lembke

hi bob

You should be able to access the program via the web. Try channel 4 on demand. I do not know if you can access from abroad though.

Hope you will be able to view it.

Regards

John

Hi Bob - there is a version for the North American market called 'Breathing Fire' that will be broadcast later in the year. It was made by Cream Productions from Toronto - http://www.creamproductions.ca/. I'll check in and see if they can give me a channel and date for when it will be broadcast. Alternatively, you would contact them via their website. The international version is a lot longer than the edited vesrion for Time Team. I saw the final cut of the long version last night at the premiere at the RE Barracks and it looked great on the big screen.

There is a thread running on the UK broadcast already: http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=162221

Best wishes,

Jeremy

Good programme, very interesting I recorded it, took out the adverts, programe length 47 minutes which is average for an hours programme.

John

So what did anyone else think of the programme?

I agree that it was very interesting but I was somewhat concerned at the lack of historical accuracy. They seemed to imply that it was the Livens projectors alone that opened up the Southern front!

The projector they were uncovering failed to get into action as was true of another. Of the two actually operating around the Crater field near Carnoy only one seems to have had a useful effect - see Montauban by Graham maddocks p 73 and 77.

The success around Montauban was far more due to the presence of the French, a more effective artillery bombardment and local British tactics.

Oh, well, why let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Simon

The success around Montauban was far more due to the presence of the French, a more effective artillery bombardment and local British tactics.

Oh, well, why let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Simon

I agree entirely.

Simon and Squirel.

A little over critical in my opinion. Such programmes are seldom satisfactory at putting their material into its historic context. I expect I was not alone in thinking that Livens was the designer of only the 'dug in mortar' and hence found the description of the flame gun very interesting.

Old Tom

I won't comment on the programme, but the idea for the projector came from Captain F C Vincent , attached to the Ministry of Munitions. Liven's felt that he could do better and produced his own version. I have a photo of the Vincent, and it is easy to see where Livens got the idea from. A Vincent projector was installed on the Somme in 1916, but was no more successful than the Liven's Gallery Projector. Despite the fearsome jet, the Gallery Projector was limited in its capability. It required much effort to dig it in, the azimuth was limited, it required copious amounts of fuel to deliver a shot, and once the shot had been fired its position was given away. In effect, it was a one shot wonder.

TR

Terry

If the reconstruction that the R.E.s did on the program last night is anything to go by what a shot. You could say the same thing about the mines they were only used once in the same position.

Regards

John

They seemed to imply that it was the Livens projectors alone that opened up the Southern front!
Yes, this was the case at one point in the programme. Later it was pointed out that the Russian saps were the key to success. Only partially true though.

Robert

The Encyclopedia Britannica, New Volumes (1922), explains one of the problems with the Livens "Large Gallery" Flammenwerfer in the article "Flamethrowers":

post-7020-0-64887400-1303086520.jpg

Terry

If the reconstruction that the R.E.s did on the program last night is anything to go by what a shot. You could say the same thing about the mines they were only used once in the same position.

Regards

John

Maybe so. But once a mine was blown you didn't have to dig it out and move it somewhere else.