Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1888 and Winchester 1917 bayonets acquired

matt1992

Hi all,

I went to the Newark Antique fair today and picked up these two bayonets the first is a very nice, clean Lee Metford P1888. There is the original manufacture date of 1 '92, and then a lot of re-issue stamps '96 '99 '00 '02 '04 '07 (See photo). There are also a number of Enfield inspector's marks as well as the Bending proof and the sold out of service. However there is no visible makers marks although looking at one of Shippingsteels previous posts on this type, I believe that it may be an Enfield because of the spine shape on the blade. Hopefully S>S or anyone else will be able to confirm this for me. It is also stamped 3 EX (Essex regiment) on the pommel. The second one I have got is a US 1917 Winchester. Again this is a nice example with very clear stamps as you can se from the photo's. Does anyone know what the eagles head with J-I or 1 stamped underneath means? It is next to the flaming bomb. Oh yes and they did both come with scabbards (I made that mistake once and won't do it again)

post-67556-0-90574700-1302286123.jpg

post-67556-0-90153700-1302286156.jpg

post-67556-0-23207800-1302286184.jpg

post-67556-0-91498400-1302286311.jpg

post-67556-0-42586600-1302286316.jpg

post-67556-0-52036300-1302286428.jpg

Some nice pickups there Matt - both look to be good honest examples of their type, so well done.! They are also very well marked to boot. :thumbsup:

The P1888 is indeed made by Enfield, the early ones they made were never stamped, the later ones usually have the EFD mark under the broad arrow.

Apart from the blade and spine shape, the giveaway here is the Crown 45/E inspection stamp which in this case also indicates it was an Enfield manufacture.

In the US they go crazy over the Winchester M1917 bayonets, which is a bit of an aberration as they are not that scarce, much less than the comparative P1913 bayonet.

The eagle mark with number is the inspection stamp and is unique to this particular bayonet, Remington used a much different syle of eagle head marking on their M1917.

The flaming bomb Ordnance mark is also unique to Winchester, normally called the 'smiley face' or the 'flaming onion'. Your bayonet is extremely well stamped and clear.!

I hope you will be joining in the fun of the bayonet ID and general knowledge competition that we will be running over the next few days. B)

Cheers, S>S

Thanks for that S>S I am finding your previous posts very useful. The stall I bought the Winchester off had quite a lot of similar ones but they were all stamped Remington, the one I bought had the best markings on it so that is why I had it. As for the the P1888 I wasn't expecting to get that so easily. I saw one with very heavy pitting to the blade so put it straight back where I found it, this one I actually found on the same stall as the other but I only just recognised the pommel from behind the table so nearly didn't get it but I am learning so that is making it easier to spot the ones I want. However I don't think I am good enough to join in your competition yet, I see the 1907 for the SMLE but that is the best I can do sorry. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Matthew