Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medical care in the Balkans

cf159qj

[Can anyone on the forum help me understand the medical support provided for the troops in the balkan conflict in 1917.?

My great grandfather died of wounds in Salonika at the end of May 1917. From the battalion diaries i assume he acquired his injuries during the assault on the Bulgars near Lake Doirian on the 24-25 April 1917. He is however buried in lembet road and died almost a month later.

What was the process of evacuation of the injured soldiers?. Can anyone telll me what Field hospital my Great grandfather may have been treated at and were their battalion aid stations or field dressing stations etc.

Yours in hope,

Nick

This isn't my area of expertise but there were always CCS and Field Ambulances close to the front and arrangements for casualty evacuation were always made before a large battle like this one. As he is buried in Lembet Road, the chances are that he was evacuated to one of the military hospitals in the Base Area around Salonika.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

It would help if we knew who he was and which unit he served with out in Salonika.

Do you know if he died; died of wounds of was killed in action - Soldiers Died will tell you and help determine how he got to Thessaloniki.

The usual casualty chain applies - Aid Posts / Field Ambulance / Casualty Clearing Station / Base hospital.

If he was at Doiran he would probably have been taken back by train, but without a bit more detail it is hard to tell.

• 3 weeks later...

He was with the 7 battalion royal berkshires and was injured from what i can understand at the end of april. He is buried in Lembet road cemetry and his mic simply states died of wounds on the 30 May 1917.

Is it possible to work out which field hospital he was cared for in, any any other relevant pieces to the jigsaw as dorian is quite a distance from salonika!

cheers,

Nick.