Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Army HQ, London

Stephen Evans

Hi All, Does anyone know where the Australian Army Headquarters were in London during World War 1? :mellow:

Steve,

I believe that AIF Headquarters was at Horseferry road, London.

Scott

Steve,

I believe that AIF Headquarters was at Horseferry road, London.

Scott

Many Thanks for that. :)

If you go to the Australian War Memorial website, and search their photographic collection under 'Horseferry Road' , you will find a number of interior and exterior shots of the HQ which you should find interesting

The streetscape has changed significantly and the AIF HQ has long gone.

This is the best match I can come up with comparing an AWM photo, D00077, with Google Earth streetview. The buildings on the left background and in the centre background seem to match.

AWM D00077

post-53536-0-03832200-1302128245.jpg

post-53536-0-60401600-1302128289.jpg

One could wonder if it is the same building with a new facade.

I thought of that too. The building on the left has similar arched windows but on the new building there's 5 instead of 4 and they're on the 1st floor rather than ground floor as in the AWM photo. It's hard to say with any certainty. Any London Pals have mates in the architecture business or local town planners?

I'm fairly certain that it's a new building. It's an interesting comparison, because I've always wondered whereabouts the AIF building was on Horseferry Road, and if the placing is correct, the buildng next door, off camera to the left, is the present Drill Hall of the London Scottish, in which I was a minor cog in the '70s. Mind you, the LS Drill Hall only moved there in the late 1980s.

• 5 years later...

Belated post, but I have been trying to locate the headquarters also.  I have just found a few references to them at 130 Horseferry Rd.  Do a search for "130 Horseferry Rd" and you will see them. Thanks for the link to the photos at AWM. 

The building at Horseferry Road housed the AIF administration headquarters in Horseferry Road, London. The Training and Command Depot Headquarters were at Tidworth in Wiltshire, where most Australian training camps were.

There may be relevant war diaries available

here

Moonraker