thanks for the reply

Grenadier Guards.

thanks any idea of date?

regards Alan

are the flames o.k.

for the grens normally 17

i believe

thanks for the reply

I don't think it is either, Gren Gds, Gren Gds of Canada, Winnipeg Grens or even HAC, all of which have no record of a cap badge with that exact style of flames, despite the existence of quite a few variations (see enclosed). It might be a pouch badge that has subsequently been fitted with a slider (there are marks apparent where lugs might have been) and it has some similarities with a grenade badge worn by the Royal Marines Artillery, but even that is a very long shot (pun unintended). I have never seen a badge of that precise style (with gaps between bunched flames) before.

post-599-0-91620200-1302047579.jpg

In the picture of the back of the badge there appears to be a narrow bar across the top flame, well above the top of the slider. What would that be: something to put a hackle behind, possibly?

In the picture of the back of the badge there appears to be a narrow bar across the top flame, well above the top of the slider. What would that be: something to put a hackle behind, possibly?

Yes, it is positioned in the right place to be a hackle, or plume holder, which lends more credence to the fusilier suggestion. The Indian Army makes great use of plumes and hackles and it could perhaps be a badge for one of their grenadier, or fusilier units.

I enclose the Royal Marines Artillery badge which shows a similar split into groups of slightly separated flames, but I do not think the subject badge is associated.

post-599-0-85990900-1302080116.jpg

Similar (but not identical) to 11th Irish Fusiliers of Canada ...

"The Irish Fusiliers of Canada (Vancouver Regiment) perpetuated the World War I active service of the 29th (Vancouver) Battalion, CEF plus the indirect service of the 121st (Western Irish) Battalion, CEF and the 158th (Duke of Connaught's Own) Battalion, CEF. Served as 1913 - 11th Regiment, Irish Fusiliers of Canada; "

http://www.arcticmedals.com/catalog/item/3730557/7830977.htm

Simon

Yes, it is positioned in the right place to be a hackle, or plume holder, which lends more credence to the fusilier suggestion. The Indian Army makes great use of plumes and hackles and it could perhaps be a badge for one of their grenadier, or fusilier units.

I enclose the Royal Marines Artillery badge which shows a similar split into groups of slightly separated flames, but I do not think the subject badge is associated.

i

think you have hit the nail on the head

but from where

the flames counted is in the pic are the same

as my badge why the bar intresting

thanks Alan

i

think you have hit the nail on the head

but from where

the flames counted is in the pic are the same

as my badge why the bar intresting

thanks Alan

I suppose it could be some kind of Royal Marines Artillery full dress head dress badge but I do not know what they wore when the RMLI were in a spiked helmet.

I'd go with RMA too, as I have one in my possession, that seems to have been worn with a pagree due to the unusual fixing on the rear.

I'd go with RMA too, as I have one in my possession, that seems to have been worn with a pagree due to the unusual fixing on the rear.

Hi Graham, that makes sense, a RMA Pagri badge from Wolseley or Foreign Service helmet.

many thanks Graham

for your help on this,would you possibly know anymore on this badge

confict/date?

any little hint to point me in the wright would be

very gratefull

Regard Alan

many thanks Graham

for your help on this,would you possibly know anymore on this badge

confict/date?

any little hint to point me in the wright would be

very gratefull

Regard Alan

Alan, it seems that in 1912 the RMLI and RMA both adopted a white Wolseley helmet as their full dress head dress. The RMLI wore a smaller version of their previous star with central globe motif as their pagri badge and the RMA a fired bomb. The RMLI helmet had a spiked top and the RMA a ball top.

As a footnote, after WW1 the helmet was readopted, but in 1923 the RMLI and RMA merged with the helmet retaining a star badge, but with the bugle replaced by the globe and laurel and the ball top was adopted to commemorate the RMA.

All this seems to fit your badge as a 1912 helmet badge, but I do not know what the fitment that looks like a plume holder would have been used for.

but I do not know what the fitment that looks like a plume holder would have been sued for.

Impersonation of a Grenadier Guards badge, I suspect. Terribly touchy, the Guards. Terribly touchy.

Alan, it seems that in 1912 the RMLI and RMA both adopted a white Wolseley helmet as their full dress head dress. The RMLI wore smaller version of their previous star with central bugle motif as their pagri badge and the RMA a fired bomb, or grenade. The RMLI helmet had a spiked top and the RMA a ball top.

As a footnote, after WW1 the helmet was readopted, but in 1923 the RMLI and RMA merged with the helmet retaining a star badge but with the bugle replaced by the globe and laurel and the ball top was adopted to commemorate the RMA.

All this seems to fit your badge as a 1912 helmet badge, but I do not know what the fitment that looks like a plume holder would have been used for.

many thanks frogsmile

great leads again thanks

your help has been the most

credible

regards

Alan