Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

David Charles Arscott

syd

I am seeking information on my ancestor, David Charles Arscott, of 18 North William Street, Cardiff, who served in the Great War. HIs service number was 2209022 Corps: 53rd Welsh. He was born on 25 Jun 1895. His previous military details: RASCT 3027944 (Enlisted 9th Jan 1914 Class Z 11th Mar 1919). Would anyone have information on his service history or medal card details? Would anyone have a picture of him? Many thanks.

Yes, his medal card and some papers exist. To see them, you'll need to subscribe to Ancestry (they run an almost permanent 14 day trial, but require your credit card details of course) or attend at Kew Archives or a large local library where you can obtain free access.

In the meantime, I can tell you that he landed in Egypt on 22 December 1915 as a driver with the RASC (I assume the T is for Transport). He re-enlisted in 1923 and most of the papers (far more than the 7 indicated in the index) relate from then until his eventual termination of engagement in 1933. On arrival in Egypt (Port Said), he was "posted to 218 Coy, 31st Div Train". From there he was transferred to 13th Divl Train and arrived in Basrah 29.2.16. Later that year, he had a spell in hospital at Amara and was sent back to hospital in late 1917 "from the Field" but quickly "discharged to duty". In 1918 he spent a month's leave in India. And duly returned to Basrah. There's a few things I can't read but that's essentially it.

Hope that helps!

Brilliant - I couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much.

Yes, his medal card and some papers exist. To see them, you'll need to subscribe to Ancestry (they run an almost permanent 14 day trial, but require your credit card details of course) or attend at Kew Archives or a large local library where you can obtain free access.

In the meantime, I can tell you that he landed in Egypt on 22 December 1915 as a driver with the RASC (I assume the T is for Transport). He re-enlisted in 1923 and most of the papers (far more than the 7 indicated in the index) relate from then until his eventual termination of engagement in 1933. On arrival in Egypt (Port Said), he was "posted to 218 Coy, 31st Div Train". From there he was transferred to 13th Divl Train and arrived in Basrah 29.2.16. Later that year, he had a spell in hospital at Amara and was sent back to hospital in late 1917 "from the Field" but quickly "discharged to duty". In 1918 he spent a month's leave in India. And duly returned to Basrah. There's a few things I can't read but that's essentially it.

Hope that helps!