Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt Evelyn Geoffrey LORD

GrahamC

Hi pals

Does anyone live near WORSLEY (ST MARKS) churchyard and could get me a photo of the grave of:

2/Lt Evelyn Geoffrey LORD - M.G.C. - Grave: N.P.1215

Also - does anyone know anything about him - apart from usual sources (MIC, Censuses, etc)? Alternatively, about the 37th Battalion.

It's just that he's on my local Memorial (Buxton, Derbyshire) and can't find out the link yet as to why he is associated with the town, as he seems to have been Manchester based.

:thumbsup: Many thanks for looking

Graham

Uppingham School Roll

Attended Uppingham Sept 1900 until April 1905

Born Sept 1886

Son of C. Lord, Wilbraham Road, Fallowfield, Manchester

Liet MGC: Disp: Died June 25 1918

Probate Records

Evelyn Geoffrey Lord of 14, Jubilee Place, Chelsea, Middlesex, Lieut MGC died 25th June 1918 at Worsley Hall Red Cross Hospital Worsley near Manchester. Probate London 16th September to Marietta Adelaide Augusta Lord widow. Effects £4899 12s 7d

He had married March Qr 1915 Holborn RD Marietta Adelaide Augusta Godbey.

1901 Census parents Charles and Evelyn Lord (nee Knott) living a 10, Wilbraham Road, South Manchester with daughter Dorothy Lord born 1888 Audenshaw. Father was a solicitor

Regards

Pam

• 11 months later...

Just resurrecting this one as there's been some input into this post --> here

All contributions gratefully received

Graham

Hi Graham,

Sorry that I cannot help with Lieut E.G.Lord--other than I do know of the whereabouts of a photo, however, I was wondering if you might have any information on a Sec Lt Sydney Moir Byers Hill, 3rd Bn Gordon Highlanders attached 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders who was killed in action at the Battle of Loos on 25th September, 1915, and who was living in Buxton prior to WW1, although I believe that he came from the Manchester/Cheshire area.

If you would like a copy of the photo of Lieut Lord, then please let me know and I will do a copy for you.

Best wishes, Robert

Sorry that I cannot help with Lieut E.G.Lord--other than I do know of the whereabouts of a photo, however, I was wondering if you might have any information on a Sec Lt Sydney Moir Byers Hill, 3rd Bn Gordon Highlanders attached 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders who was killed in action at the Battle of Loos on 25th September, 1915, and who was living in Buxton prior to WW1, although I believe that he came from the Manchester/Cheshire area.

If you would like a copy of the photo of Lieut Lord, then please let me know and I will do a copy for you.

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply and I certainly would welcome a photo of Lt. Lord for inclusion on my website. (I will PM you with my email address if you can forward a copy)

I have a little info on 2/Lt Hill, but it's a bit thin and would certainly welcome any extra details. I don't have a photo of him either.)

Sydney was born in January 1885 (baptised on 11th January, at St James Church, Birkdale, Lancashire) the son of John (Brazil Merchant) and Jessie Caroline Hill. He had an older sister, Florence, and four older brothers, Harold J., Claude, Cyril P. and Francis (1891 Census RG 11/3918, when the family was living at 3 Stanley Grove, Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire).

In 1901 (Census RG 12/3036) Sydney and his siblings, Florence, Harold and Cyril, were lodging at the Giles family Lodging House, 50 The Promenade, Southport, Lancashire. Their parents, John and Jessie, were also visiting, staying with the Blatherwicks at 4 Queens Mead Road, Bromley, Kent (Census RG 12/628).

Ten years later 16 year old Sydney was in school, boarding at 'The College', Bowden, Cheshire. (1901 Census RG 13/3323) Sydney's father, John, had died in 1892 and his mother, Jessie, was living with Florence, Harold and Claude at 'Thornlea', Woodland Bank, Timperley, Cheshire. (Census RG 13/3326) In 1911 (Census RG 14/21243) Sydney was employed as a "Chartered Accountant" and living with his widowed mother at 18 Broad Walk, Buxton. Later she moved to 111 Barrowmead, Buxton.

Second Lieutenant Sydney Moir-Byres Hill, served during the Great War with the 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. He was appointed 2nd Lieutenant ("on probation") on 7th May 1915 (London Gazette, 6 May 1915) which was confirmed on 14th July 1915 (London Gazette, 13 July 1915).

This commission occurred whilst with the 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion had been formed in August 1914 at Aberdeen. It was a depot/training unit and remained there throughout the war. For this reason no doubt Sydney sought to transfer to another unit (in his case The Cameron Highlanders) to see active service at the Front.

This he achieved, but was killed in action only two months after receiving his Commission, whilst attached to the Cameron Highlanders, on the first day of the Battle of Loos, 25th September 1915, and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France. :poppy:

Hope this is of some use

Graham

P.S. Seems you inbox is full so have left a message

post-37838-0-00023700-1331646560.jpg

Edited by GrahamC

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply and I certainly would welcome a photo of Lt. Lord for inclusion on my website. (I will PM you with my email address if you can forward a copy)

I have a little info on 2/Lt Hill, but it's a bit thin and would certainly welcome any extra details. I don't have a photo of him either.)

Sydney was born in January 1885 (baptised on 11th January, at St James Church, Birkdale, Lancashire) the son of John (Brazil Merchant) and Jessie Caroline Hill. He had an older sister, Florence, and four older brothers, Harold J., Claude, Cyril P. and Francis (1891 Census RG 11/3918, when the family was living at 3 Stanley Grove, Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire).

In 1901 (Census RG 12/3036) Sydney and his siblings, Florence, Harold and Cyril, were lodging at the Giles family Lodging House, 50 The Promenade, Southport, Lancashire. Their parents, John and Jessie, were also visiting, staying with the Blatherwicks at 4 Queens Mead Road, Bromley, Kent (Census RG 12/628).

Ten years later 16 year old Sydney was in school, boarding at 'The College', Bowden, Cheshire. (1901 Census RG 13/3323) Sydney's father, John, had died in 1892 and his mother, Jessie, was living with Florence, Harold and Claude at 'Thornlea', Woodland Bank, Timperley, Cheshire. (Census RG 13/3326) In 1911 (Census RG 14/21243) Sydney was employed as a "Chartered Accountant" and living with his widowed mother at 18 Broad Walk, Buxton. Later she moved to 111 Barrowmead, Buxton.

Second Lieutenant Sydney Moir-Byres Hill, served during the Great War with the 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. He was appointed 2nd Lieutenant ("on probation") on 7th May 1915 (London Gazette, 6 May 1915) which was confirmed on 14th July 1915 (London Gazette, 13 July 1915).

This commission occurred whilst with the 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion had been formed in August 1914 at Aberdeen. It was a depot/training unit and remained there throughout the war. For this reason no doubt Sydney sought to transfer to another unit (in his case The Cameron Highlanders) to see active service at the Front.

This he achieved, but was killed in action only two months after receiving his Commission, whilst attached to the Cameron Highlanders, on the first day of the Battle of Loos, 25th September 1915, and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France. :poppy:

Hope this is of some use

Graham

P.S. Seems you inbox is full so have left a message

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much indeed for the details regarding Sydney Hill, these are most useful. I do have an original photo of him, so I will copy this along with that of E.G.L. and send you copies. This will be at the weekend though, due to lack of any spare time this week!!

My inbox is infact almost empty, but strangely this message seems to confront anyone who tries to contact me via the PM system :angry2:

Regards, Robert

:thumbsup: That's excellent, Robert, many thanks. It's good of you to take the time.

Hopefully, you got my message with my email address.

Graham

:thumbsup: That's excellent, Robert, many thanks. It's good of you to take the time.

Hopefully, you got my message with my email address.

Graham

Affirmative :thumbsup:

Are you looking for photos of any other officers from Buxton? If so, please send me a list and I will see what I can come up with for you.

Best wishes, Robert

Are you looking for photos of any other officers from Buxton? If so, please send me a list and I will see what I can come up with for you.

Hello Robert

Thanks for the offer - I'm looking for quite a lot, actually - here's the Senior Officers - have another list of Lieut. and 2/Lieuts as well! Any help would, of course, be appreciated.

Maj. John Hopwood BOARDMAN, 2/Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry - 25 April 1918 – Died of wounds (Prisoner of War)

Lt. Com. Frank Tomkinson BRADE, Royal Naval Reserve, H.M.C.M.B. "No 67A" - 18 August 1919

Lt. Thomas Herbert SHAW, 7/Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - 8 August 1917 – Killed in Action

Sub. Lt. Henry Stavely Pilkington SHAW, Royal Navy - 12 January 1918

Capt Leslie Cecil Bentinck CLARKSON, Royal Army Service Corps - 31 March 1917 – Died

Capt Thomas Pilling GIBBONS, Hertfordshire Regiment - 22 March 1918 – Killed in Action

Capt William Henry McKINLEY, 6/York and Lancaster Regiment - 9 October 1917 – Killed in Action

Capt Hubert Thomas De La MOTTE, 29th Punjabis - 30 October 1918

Capt Gerald SIDEBOTHAM, 1/4 Cheshire Regiment - 9 March 1918 – Killed in Action

Capt Alexander Lynam De Courcy STRETTON, 1/South Lancashire Regiment - 16 October 1917 – Killed in Action

Capt Charles Henry Slade VAUDREY, 1/Manchester Regiment - 2 May 1916 – Died in Iraq

Capt Norman VAUDREY, 17/Manchester Regiment - 1 July 1916 – Killed in Action

Capt John Arthur YOUNG, 17/Sherwood Foresters - 4 October 1917 – Killed in Action

Thanks again

Graham

Hi Graham,

I have located a few off this first list, so please send me the other list a.s.a.p. and then I can check for these also :thumbsup:

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Graham,

I have located a few off this first list, so please send me the other list a.s.a.p. and then I can check for these also :thumbsup:

Best wishes, Robert

:blink: Blimey, Robert, this is over and above .... but here you go:

2nd Lt. Gerald Wallace ADAM, Leicestershire Regiment (Attached: 13th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment) - 10 August 1919 (In Russia)

2nd Lt. John Cane CRAWFORD, R.H.A. - 31 August 1916 - K.I.A.

2nd Lt. Robert Ivan DONCASTER, 15/Lancashire Fusiliers – 1 July 1916 k.i.a.

2nd Lt. James Ashwell HOWE, R.F.C. - 13 February 1918 – Killed

Lt. Archibald Frederick Richard LINAKER, 2/The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment - 9 September 1918 - K.I.A.

Lt. K. NOWELL (Possibly: Joseph Kent), 8/London Regiment - 16 August 1917

Lt. (Quartermaster) Walter PEARSON, R.A.M.C. - 24 May 1918 – Died

2/Lt. Rendel (Randal) POWELL, 2/K.O.Y.L.I. - 20 August 1918 - K.I.A.

Lt. Douglas Marshall RIGBY, 6/Cheshire Regt. - 4 September 1918 - K.I.A.

Lt. Geoffrey Charles Norton WARDLEY, R.G.A. - 24 July 1916 - D.O.W.

2nd Lt. Arthur George Richard WHITWORTH, 24/Northumberland Fusiliers - 30 March 1918 - D.O.W.

Lt. Charles Leslie WILKINSON, 6/Sherwood Foresters - 21 March 1918 - K.I.A.

Would you like a list of those Officers whose photos I do have in case there's any you don't have?

Many thanks again

Graham

:thumbsup:Just wanted to post a big public thank-you to Robert for taking the time to copy a lot of photos of my Buxton men.

After a good few years on the Forum I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the generosity of the members - but it's worth saying again.

Graham