Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why do you collect I was asked this is why!

kingsman64

Over the weekend I had a visit from a workmate who was suprised to find me sitting at the dining table with dress making scissors and a sewing basket in front of me. :lol:

I explained very quickly that I wasn't knocking something up for Saturday night just putting some ribbon on a newly aquired medal group. As I had nearly finished he made a brew and sat and watched me, then the usual question came up "why do you collect other peoples medals"? I was gentle with him honest! However, the group I was working on was an ideal example to illustrate the fascination I have for medal/history preservation.

Recently aquired from a small auction house a very badly described father and son medal selection. The description went "The usual three first world war medals missing ribbons awarded to 11928 Gough , some second world war medals to G Gough RAF, and a box of sundries a lot £40-60"

The trio was a 1914 Star Trio to George Sydney Gough 11928 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.

George was Killed in action at Festubert 15th May 1915 (CWGC) as Festubert was the first large scale overnight attack of WW1 I believe that George was probably KIA when the Grenadier's tried to attack and bomb their way down a newly cut trench towards the German lines on the 16th of May. The new cutting did not reach the German front line and they had to exit the trench and attack across open ground, as a result they where enfiladed from the flank by intense machine gun fire.

Further research and census information has added more to the story George was serving as a police constable in Ilkeston Derbyshire 1911 onwards, however in 1891 we find George aged 7 he was living with his family in Sandhurst Berkshire where his father was a Servant in the mess of the Royal Military College. So no doubt young George grew up with the pomp and ceremony of Sandhurst all around him (wonder if this is why he chose to enlist in the Grenadiers?)

The box of sundry items contained and original Mons Clasp, a Grenadier guards cap badge, a WW2 RAF Engineers padded wing brevet 1942 issue, a boxed 1953 coronation medal and a slip confirming the WW2 awards to the son Squadron Leader G Gough!(He turns out to be a pioneering expert in radar, a pre-war lecturer at Cambridge University and a Associate Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers, with a well travelled ww2 career on anti U-Boat duty, but thats another story).

I explained to my friend that here where two generations who had given so much, in the case of George paid the ultimate sacrifice, only to end up in a shoe box at a general auction with a wrong description attached to his medals and no history to carry forward.

Pleased to report my mate rather than being terminally bored was so impressed he has dug out four family groups of medals for me to work my "magic" on hahaha :P

I have atached a couple of before and after pictures for you to enjoy cheers all I know you understand already! :D

IMG_1635.jpg

as purchased

IMG_1642.jpg

getting there! :poppy:

IMG_1644.jpg

Final image

IMG_1648.jpg

Well done on your lovely find,at least there now in the right hands,rightly remembered and no longer in a box.

Regards

Brendan

Great story! That's why I do it as well. It's almost like you're holding a little piece of these men's lives in your hand.

Wow, where is this unspeakably sloppy and unknowing auction house? (Not that I expect you to tell us!)

Good finds, well done - a result indeed. I know of people who would trmaple you in the rush for the WW2 medals, let alone a 1914 casualty trio. Some people would give more than the price of the lot for the brevet!

Wow, where is this unspeakably sloppy and unknowing auction house? (Not that I expect you to tell us!)

Good finds, well done - a result indeed. I know of people who would trmaple you in the rush for the WW2 medals, let alone a 1914 casualty trio. Some people would give more than the price of the lot for the brevet!

I didnt say I got them for the pre-sale estimate! :lol:

There was some competition from other knowing souls :hypocrite:

However the poor information with the lot meant I did get a very good deal :thumbsup:

Great story! That's why I do it as well. It's almost like you're holding a little piece of these men's lives in your hand.

This one of the reasons why I collect. They did their bit now it's up to us to do our bit and preserve their service and sacrifice. :poppy:

Cheers,

David