The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sergeant Charles Emerson Watling

Guest Harleycheryl1

Guest Harleycheryl1

Hi! Everyone

I am desperately searching for further information and particularly a photograph of my Great Great Uncle Charles Emerson Watling. He was born in 1890 Westminster, London. He served with the AIF joining the 12th Battalion on the 5/9/1914. He was transferred to the 59th Battalion 13th brigade, 4th division 4/3/1916. He died in action on 4/9/1916 on the road between Pozieres & Mouquet Farm i believe. He is buried at Coucelette British Cemetery. Having trawled the internet for a good few days i have been unable to find a photograph of him or any of his battalions or brigades from the time he was serving. Although i do have archive records from the Australian Red Cross & National Australian Archives.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with my search. My father has inherited Charles' Memorial plaque from his father but sadly no other documentation or photographs.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with links to Charles' family or his possible comrades.

Many thanks

Cheryl - new member x

• 2 years later...

Hi there

I am doing research on the 52nd as my great uncle Lieutenant Len Wadsley served with them. Both he and Charles were in C Company and both killed at Mouquet Farm. I went to France in March last year and visited Mouquet Farm where they died.

We are very lucky that we have all Len’s original letters sent home during the war, about 70 of them, plus photos, diary, medals and other memorabilia. My long term project has been to write a book using Len’s letters as a key element, but also bringing in other first-hand accounts and other material on the 52nd men who served, as well as the families and communities back home. As Mouquet Farm was the first major battle for the 52nd I would like to deal with that event in some depth, particularly as it caused a huge number of casualties and must have had a tremendous impact on the families at home.

I would be very interested if you have any letters, diaries, photos of Charles and his war service you could copy/scan for me to help me with my research. Also if you have any oral history from your family on his experiences and how his war service affected his family, I would be grateful. At the same time, I would like any information/material on the war service of any other family members who may have served.

I look forward to hearing from you.

John Wadsley

Hobart Tasmania Australia

• 1 year later...
Guest Harleycheryl1

Hi John

It's am thrilled to hear from you. It is by chance that I have seen this message as no notification came through. Please email me Harleycheryl@aol.com so we can discuss further. Cheryl