Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Bn West Yorkshire Regiment

jmicky57

Hi All,

I am researching Military service of Familymembers.

I found that John A Marriott joined the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshires around 1908. And was killed in action on the 19th Dec. 1914.

His grave is in the Royal Irish Rifles graveyardat Laventie grave no IV .G.9

Can anyone help with what was the Action he waskilled in???

Could he have been a part of the defence ofGivenchy????

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Mick

The Plot that he is in gives a clue that his initial burial may have been elsewhere.

It could be worth enquiring for the original location by contacting the CWGC to see where it was.

The Rue-du-Bacquerot runs South-East of Laventie, towards Fleurbaix; and the position of the road behind the British front line, during the greater part of the war, made it the natural line of a number of small British cemeteries. One of these was begun in November 1914, and used, at first, particularly by the 1st Royal Irish Rifles. The Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, was carried on by fighting units until July 1916; and these original burials are now in Plots I and II. It was increased after the Armistice by the concentration of graves (chiefly of 1914-15 and 1918) from the battlefields East of Estaires and Bethune and from certain smaller cemeteries, including:- LAVENTIE SOUTH GERMAN CEMETERY, which was on the road to La Flinque and contained 3 U.K. of April 1918. RUE-DU-BACQUEROT (WANGERIE POST) NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, LAVENTIE, which was close to the hamlet of Wangerie and contained 22 U.K. of 1915. SAILLY-SUR-LA-LYS GERMAN CEMETERY, which was near the road to Bac-St. Maur and contained 8 U.K. of April 1918. WINCHESTER ROAD CEMETERY, LAVENTIE, was a little West of Chapigny Farm and contained 18 U.K. (Royal Scots Fusiliers and Connaught Rangers) of 1914-15.

There were 44 soldiers killed that day, but no officers, which might have helped with any references in the War Diary.

Soldiers Died in the Great War provides his Christian Names:-

Name: John Albert Marriott. Birth Place: Sheffield. Death Date: 19 Dec 1914

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: York. Rank: Private

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment). Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Number: 9015. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

which you could also pass on to the CWGC.

His Medal Index Card shows he entered France on 5th November 1914, so was entitled to the 1914 Star and Clasp, plus "rose" for the medal ribbon.

I haven't checked if his Service or Pension records survived WW2 bombing....

Hi All,

I am researching Military service of Familymembers.

I found that John A Marriott joined the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshires around 1908. And was killed in action on the 19th Dec. 1914.

His grave is in the Royal Irish Rifles graveyardat Laventie grave no IV .G.9

Can anyone help with what was the Action he waskilled in???

Could he have been a part of the defence ofGivenchy????

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Mick

Hello Mick,

If you PM me your e-mail I can send you info from a few pages of the "The West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War" if you want.

Mick.

The 1911 census info. (with the 1st Bn)

Pte John Marriott (1889 Sheffield)

1st Bn West Yorkshire Regiment

Connaught Barracks, Rawal Pindi, Punjab, India.

On 18th December 1914, 23rd Brigade, 8th Division (of which the 2/West Yorkshire Regiment formed part) launched an attack on Neuve Chapelle. This is the attack in which John Marriott was killed.

His body was recovered in November 1919 from map reference 36M.29.C.3.9 and re-buried within the Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard at Laventie. His original burial had been marked with a cross (number 371) which gave his name, rank, number and date of death, but no effects were recovered with his remains.

Please let me know if you’d like any further information.

V.

Hi Mick,

in case you dont have this,

theres an image of a John Marriott, Pte. 2nd West Yorks, KIA, in the Sheffield Telegraph of 26/1/15. Address given is 33 Backfields. You can get a copy of this from Sheffield Local Studies library in town. There is a John Albert Marriott on the St Pauls memorial that now stands in Sheffield Cathedral, (St Pauls, where the peace gardens are now). Also a John A. Marriott on both the St Mathews roll of honour on Carver street, and the St Andrews roll of honour, Sharrow, (served).

Dean.

(the images on the whole in the telegraph aren't that good Mick)

Thank you to one and all for the very useful information.

What makes it so interesting is that John Albert Marriott (grand uncle - Grand fathers side) was, as it look in the same unit as Arthur Greaves (Grand uncle on my Grandmothers' side). Arthur was captured and served out the rest of the war as a POW.

Mick

Hi Mick, was Arthur a Sheffield man too ?

Dean.

Yes, his brother joined the York & Lancs in 1908

Cheers Mick, do you have Arthurs number ?

Dean

Hi Dean

Arthur Greaves 6381 Joined the 1st West Yorkshires and served with the 2nd West Yorkshires in 1914.

He was as I said captured. this picture was sent to his Mum and Dad while he was a POW.

post-39979-0-56843900-1302106044.jpg

Hello Mick

Anychance of a close up of Arthur or a large picture please.

As for Arthur joined the West Yorks first half of 1902.

Landed France with the 1st Battlion 8/9/14.

A link to the lads he landed with http://frontforum.westernfrontassociation.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1682

Regards Kevin

Hi Dean

Arthur Greaves 6381 Joined the 1st West Yorkshires and served with the 2nd West Yorkshires in 1914.

He was as I said captured. this picture was sent to his Mum and Dad while he was a POW.

Hello,

If you go on the Prince of Wales Own museum website they have a couple of POW photos in the archives of Pte (6381) A Greaves. (1 individual + 1 group shot)

Just type Greaves in the search archives box.

http://www.pwo-yorkshire.museum/

Mick.

(He's got a glorious tache !)

Ps Did the e-mail arrive ok ?

Hi Dean,

As Promised I have sent you a full size of thephoto.

Which now has got me puzzled after checking thearchives at the West Yorkshire Regiment museum website????

The photo of Arthur Greaves, and the one postedon the WYR museum site look like they're a different person?????

post-39979-0-05657600-1302271297.jpg

Hi Dean

Heres the WYR Museum Photo.

Both photos , as I understand were sent to his father and mother while he was a POW

post-39979-0-45294600-1302271788.jpg

Thanks for that Mick, i think there the same person, looking at the chin and ears. The one with the flat cap possibly older and showing the effects of being a prisoner ?

Dean.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the details of John Marriott's burial and re-location.

I have found a trench map for that location and I have marked where I think the co-ordinates that you gave to where the original burial of john was during the Christmas truce.

Do you think I am close?

post-39979-0-24138400-1303820114.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest louvarley

Hi being new to this site. im also looking for a connection to 2nd battalion west yorkshire regiment.

Lance Corprol (as i know of) Alfred Thomas lived in married quarters on strensall camp

where do i start to look for any more information just a nudge in the right direction would be great

thanks lou

Hi being new to this site. im also looking for a connection to 2nd battalion west yorkshire regiment.

Lance Corprol (as i know of) Alfred Thomas lived in married quarters on strensall camp

where do i start to look for any more information just a nudge in the right direction would be great

thanks lou

Hello,

There is a medal index card available at the National Archives for a Pte Alfred Thomas (15091) West Yorkshire Regiment.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=5727478&queryType=1&resultcount=1

Seems like the only man on the index with that name in the West Yorks.

The card indicates that he joined the BEF in France on 26th August 1915. (No battalion mentioned)

Possibly the man your looking for ?

Mick.