Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force

Lachlan

Prior to WW1, did the Territorial battalions of the county regiments wear full dress uniforms in all respects ? I'm particularly thinking of items of headgear. Did they wear the full dress headgear of the regular and reserve battalions or a lesser version eg peaked forage caps instead of Home Service helmets etc for English/Welsh regts and glengarries instead of feather bonnets and cocked Kilmarnock bonnets for Scottish regts ?

Lachlan,

Check out John Duncan's Web-Site-Newbattle at War-8th Royal Scots at War section-you'll find photos of the Battalion at pre-War Camp and the types of headgear worn.

If you have difficulties accessing the web-site p.m. me your e-mail address and I'll forward some of the photos(with dates)

add-I possess a notice advising members of the Battalion about a Memorial Service for the death of Edward VII held in Haddington on 20th May 1910-dress is Review Order(with Rifles).

Can anyone show a photo of Review Order dress?

George

Prior to WW1, did the Territorial battalions of the county regiments wear full dress uniforms in all respects ? I'm particularly thinking of items of headgear. Did they wear the full dress headgear of the regular and reserve battalions or a lesser version eg peaked forage caps instead of Home Service helmets etc for English/Welsh regts and glengarries instead of feather bonnets and cocked Kilmarnock bonnets for Scottish regts ?

My understanding is that TF battalions generally had a walking out dress of tunic, or frock, plus the peaked cap or glengarry and held just a pool of Home Service helmets (or equivalents) for 'Galas and other special occasions'. I have read this in various circulars of the time but there are others on the site who will be able to give you more detail if you require it.

Here is a picture the 6th RS Volunteers on the day they became the 8th RS (TF), wearing their best gear. I have highlighted Jim Tait who served with them all the way through the Great War and ended up as a Major.

John

post-12171-0-12419200-1301835034.jpg

Grand picture - but they don't look very happy about it, John. Antony

Hi Anthony

They weren't happy at all about it, and had fought tooth and nail to avoid it. However, typical army, a few years later they were inseperable pals and fought again after the war to avoid being made an Artillery unit, they lost that to and were even more unhappy.

John