Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass Lapel Badge

Rob Bulloch

Hello the forum. I found this lapel badge in a bits and bods box at a military show. I am wondering if it is a Great War Division badge. it has no pin but it has a through the button hole type of fixing.

TIA Aye Rob.

This Is the Back...Aye Rob

post-56-0-78694900-1301691415.jpg

post-56-0-31433200-1301691582.jpg

Hello the forum. I found this lapel badge in a bits and bods box at a military show. I am wondering if it is a Great War Division badge. it has no pin but it has a through the button hole type of fixing.

TIA Aye Rob.

This Is the Back...Aye Rob

In the exact form of your lapel badge it is the Crest of the 78th Infantry Division of the British Army in WW2.

The 78th was formed specifically for Operation Torch from regular British Army units, landing at Algiers in 1942. Thereafter it continued in Tunisia, gaining a formidable reputation, then through Sicily, up the length of Italy, arriving in Austria for the end of the war. Units also saw action in Greece, Palestine, and Egypt. Notable engagements include in Tunisia Longstop Hill, in Sicily the Battle of Centuripe and in Italy the assaults on the Viktor Line (Battle of Termoli), the Barbara Line and the River Sangro (Gustav Line) as well as the Battle of Monte Cassino, the Gothic Line and battle of Argenta gap.

It also looks something like the badge of 74 (Battleaxe) Battery Royal Artillery, but I believe it is some kind of old comrades badge of the 78th Division..

FROGSMILE..Thank you very much for your very informative reply. I googled the 78th Infantry Div and found the Div Patch. I am glad I rescued it from the box.

Aye Rob.

post-56-0-36139200-1301707246.jpg

FROGSMILE..Thank you very much for your very informative reply. I googled the 78th Infantry Div and found the Div Patch. I am glad I rescued it from the box.

Aye Rob.

I am glad you found it helpful. I imagine the badge would have been very precious to an Old Soldier of the Division who has now passed on. They were a fine fighting formation with a good reputation.