any help on this matter would be helpfull

thanks for looking.

alan

have just purchased a chesire rgt cap badge

the slider is hand scratced 4/11 last three 971

any help on this matter would be helpfull

thanks for looking.

alan

Alan, write it exactly as it appears in inverted commas so that we can visualise exactly how it looks.

"4/1133971"? OR

"4413 3971"

intresting thanks for any help

regards

Alan

"4/1133971"? OR

"4413 3971"

intresting thanks for any help

regards

Alan

I know little about Service numbers, but there are many on the site who do. It is most likely to be a Service number I think, but the number seems longer to me than was common in WW1. Regular soldiers used to have regular kit checks during normal barracks routine and to be deficient of one of your 2 (usually) cap badges was a heinous crime and if you did not keep an eye on your badge it would be swiftly "half inched" to make up another soldiers deficiency. Marking the slider with your number was a way of proving that a particular badge was yours. Once war began such niceties were generally (but not always) forgotten as there were far more important things to worry about!

thanks i am trying to magnify

the inscription will

post when suceed thanks for your reply

regards Alan

deeper look at this badge

looks like 4 4 13 possible date

3071 or 3971 service number?

hope this helps

regards Alan

deeper look at this badge

looks like 4 4 13 possible date

3071 or 3971 service number?

hope this helps

regards Alan

Yes, I think that 4 or 5 digit numbers were the norm for WW1, other than that you need someone who is really into Service numbers to help.

Here is a site that covers it in some detail: http://armyservicenu...1918-index.html

Yes, I think that 4 or 5 digit numbers were the norm for WW1, other than that you need someone who is really into Service numbers to help.

Here is a site that covers it in some detail: http://armyservicenu...1918-index.html

many thanks for your help

regards alan

It could be a service number. Going on the idea that the 1913 date could have something to do with enlistement:

The two Cheshires men with the number 3971 are probably out -- one joined in 1915 and the other later in the war.

There are three with the number 3079 -- John Peers and James Hewitt, who went overseas in 1915 -- and one, James Collins, who deserted in 1890. There are no surviving service records for Ptes. Peers and Hewitt to show when they enlisted.