Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austro-Hungarians in the Caucasus

varifleman

Here are several photos from an album compiled by an un-named Austro-Hungarian soldier of his service in thr Caucasus. I can't find much information on Austro-Hungarian activities in the Caucasus (occupation, POW camps?) so any additional insights are welcomed. : Search light and artillery piece

A few more photos from the album: these photos show the Alexander Bridge on the Volga and the Steamer S Ceuta in the harbor at Stettin (perhaps the soldier was a repatriated POW)?

A few more photos from the album: these photos show the Alexander Bridge on the Volga and the Steamer S Ceuta in the harbor at Stettin (perhaps the soldier was a repatriated POW)?

And a few more:

Street scene inn the Old Quarter of Tashkent, Turkestan and map showing return routes to Stettin

And the last two photos:

: Outdoor scene and view of the Ancient Mosque in Samarkand, Turkestan.

I think most probably he had been a POW. The Austro-Hungarian Korps Knoerzer of Army Group Eichhorn had reached a line just to the east of Rostow by June 1918 but did not advance south into the Caucasus.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn: Thanks for your reply. I didn't find any information indicating that the Austro-Hungarians had penetrated into the Caucasus so surmised he was a POW; maybe the photo captioned 1917-19 shows a POW camp scene. Also, the map indicating return routes to Stettin and the photo of the SS Ceuta (launched in 1912, in service with the Oldenburg Portuguese Line (Oldenburg Portugiesische Dampschiffs Rhederei) of Stettin, seized as a war prize in 1920) also indicated a POW. Cheers