Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform of which Regiment?

Doug_R

At this point I'm only sure it's either RGA or RE. Given what WF pointed out the picture might be later as opposed to early which I had thought.

The lanyard thing is preference of mine. In my experience which might not relate to others, lanyard wear has been hit or miss. I'm familiar with the order of the RFA chnage from left to right shoulder in the 1920's.

Below is a photo of ASC personnel (of a MT unit not authorized until 1914) all wearing the lanyard and below that is a Regular pre-war RHA unit and most are not wearing it.

ascresized.jpg

rha1907resized2.jpg

Joe Sweeney

At this point I'm only sure it's either RGA or RE. Given what WF pointed out the picture might be later as opposed to early which I had thought.

The lanyard thing is preference of mine. In my experience which might not relate to others, lanyard wear has been hit or miss. I'm familiar with the order of the RFA chnage from left to right shoulder in the 1920's.

Below is a photo of ASC personnel (of a MT unit not authorized until 1914) all wearing the lanyard and below that is a Regular pre-war RHA unit and most are not wearing it.

Joe Sweeney

I did not say the RA were wearing it pre-war! All material I have seen emphasises it during the war and after, only. As I said, I do not know why they made it such a big deal, but some data I have seen states that it was used by men employed on the gun line to hold a fuze setting tool, as well as a clasp knife. I do not know if that is true. Like you I am aware that other Arms and Services wore a lanyard, in particular the Ammunition Trains of the ASC, who perhaps might have caught the bug of being pernickety about it from their association with the RA, but that is just speculation. The fact remains that when you look at photos of Gunners during WW1 and after, they are rarely seen without their white lanyards to a degree of regulation over and above that which seems to have been adopted by other units.

Frogsmile,

No arguement post-war. In fact I believe quite a few honoured ancient traditions originated or received much more emphasis after the war in the 1920's.

I don't share your view on wartime use of lanyards (or Lack) as being a significant determinat for a man being in a RA unit or not--and I think we'll have to agree that we don't meet eye to eye on this subject.

In just a quick look through my photos and books such as Steve Chambers you can see many RA types without lanyards (and with). At that period it had more to do with duties with horses as the Marline spike was needed for cleaning hooves as the hoof pick stopped issue at the turn of or a little early in the 20th Century.

Specifically the ASC pre-war called out wear of Lanyard (plaited) around left shoulder and knife in left pocket. ASC Training 1909 Part 1 Appendix II Special instruction for para 7 for Horse Transport which included far more duties than just ammunition column. Similar instruction are found the AOC, Several cavalry Reg't's SO and RE 1914 Field Squadron FSM that I have.

In fact issue scales for dismounted duties such as Infantry almost always show issue of Lanyard with knife (no Marline spike and mounted duties with spike). Although I have a feeling that type of instruction wasn't adhered to that closely.

Joe Sweeney

Frogsmile,

No arguement post-war. In fact I believe quite a few honoured ancient traditions originated or received much more emphasis after the war in the 1920's.

I don't share your view on wartime use of lanyards (or Lack) as being a significant determinat for a man being in a RA unit or not--and I think we'll have to agree that we don't meet eye to eye on this subject.

In just a quick look through my photos and books such as Steve Chambers you can see many RA types without lanyards (and with). At that period it had more to do with duties with horses as the Marline spike was needed for cleaning hooves as the hoof pick stopped issue at the turn of or a little early in the 20th Century.

Specifically the ASC pre-war called out wear of Lanyard (plaited) around left shoulder and knife in left pocket. ASC Training 1909 Part 1 Appendix II Special instruction for para 7 for Horse Transport which included far more duties than just ammunition column. Similar instruction are found the AOC, Several cavalry Reg't's SO and RE 1914 Field Squadron FSM that I have.

In fact issue scales for dismounted duties such as Infantry almost always show issue of Lanyard with knife (no Marline spike and mounted duties with spike). Although I have a feeling that type of instruction wasn't adhered to that closely.

Joe Sweeney

I don't disagree with any of your detail Joe and have seen much of it before. My only difference in interpretation is that I believe the RA were more strict about the wearing of lanyards as an item of regimental dress, even before the 1920s. Apparently, they originally wore a lanyard around the neck (Afghanistan 1870s, Boer Wars etc) before switching to one at the shoulder with SD. As you say, it is just an area where our views are not aligned.

P.S. I have sent you a PM on an entirely different matter.

Another one of those "Hey, chaps, wouldn't it be a wizard jape to have a snap where no one can see any identification?"

And that's the only one the family decide to keep!!

Surely, at some time, one photographer has to have slipped up and left some helpful clue?

Why does no one post them!!!laugh.gif

I knew that what I posted would be callenging (no reg badges or decent view of shoulder titles) but you managed to identify lots of clues. Unfortunately no unanimous conclusion.

Thanks for the all the contributions and the level of attention I received.