Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translating map coordinates

marc leroux

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I finally received the IWM trench Map Archive CD only to find that one of the units I am researching used the 1/20,000 maps.

Can anyone educate me on how to translate (for example) 51BSW W.29.c.80.80 to the coordinates used on the 1/10,000 maps?

TIA

marc

Marc.

The numbers and letters on the 1:20000 correspond to those on the 1:10000 (just smaller!).So both maps can be read the same.

In your case 51BSW refers to the 1:20,000 map that encompasses 1:10000 maps "Neuville", "Vis","Boisleux" and "Bullecourt". W29 is square number 29 in the "W" sector of the map, and 80.80 will be towards the top right hand corner of this square.

Hope that makes some sense! I find it easier to do than to explain!!! :D

Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

The outstanding question I have now is how do you determine which of the 4 is the "W Sector" map? In this particular case I know that it is Neuville, but I am trying to understand this in general.

Thanks

marc

Thanks, Dave.

The outstanding question I have now is how do you determine which of the 4 is the "W Sector" map? In this particular case I know that it is Neuville, but I am trying to understand this in general.

Thanks

marc

A bit confusing this (I'm going "blind" here - no maps near me!), but I don't think that the Neuville-Vitasse (51BSW1) map has a "W" sector! It should be down towards the Boisleaux map, or even the Blairville (encroaching into 51C SE) edition. In fact I can't find a "W" sector on the 51BSW 1:20,000 map.

Personally, I think this square could contain Monchy-au-Bois.

By the way, the way you can see the "W" sector is that the map either shows it in the margin , or on the map itself, especially if there's an intersection.(You can't miss it!)

Dave

You are absolutely correct, Dave. I don't know if I should put it down to misformed characters on the typewriter used in the War Diary, my failing eyesight (I've given up hope and know I need to get bifocals now) or just a mind cramp on my part; although I suspect one of the latter.

I believe I mistook a "N" for a "W", and everything works out correctly if I use "N"

Many thanks. Amazingly enough, I think I now have this figured out!

marc