Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photograph please

Dannemois

The soldier in the attached photograph is of my grandfather but unfortunately very little is known with who or where he served and I wondered if there is something in the photograph that would help identify his unit?

I would appreciate any help.

post-34874-0-40394400-1301507592.jpg

The soldier in the attached photograph is of my grandfather but unfortunately very little is known with who or where he served and I wondered if there is something in the photograph that would help identify his unit?

He has a Wolseley helmet (on the floor) with what appears to be a 3 colour regimental 'flash' on the side of the pagri. The stable belt with affixed purse was common and pre-dates the widespread usage of coloured regimental versions. The most significant thing for me is his shirt, which has a fixed collar that was unusual for other ranks of that period. Certainly infantry ORs shirts were collarless. The combination of these items leads me to the conclusion that he is a cavalryman, or HT ASC, but it would be impossible to identify which regiment without knowing the precise colour arrangement of the flash.

If you knew the Station at which the photo was taken then it might help to narrow things down, even more so if you also had a date. Is there any kind of marking, or printing on the back?

And if you are able to provide a name and what you know it would certainly assist.

Rgds

Tim D

IThe soldier in the attached photograph is of my grandfather but unfortunately very little is known with who or where he served and I wondered if there is something in the photograph that would help identify his unit?

It doesn't help much, but the rattan blind and what appears to be a growing species of the same plant together with his clothing indicates that he is somewhere in the East (malaya?) possibly Africa

khaki

Hi Khaki

My grandfather's name is Sylvanus Brewer. I posted his service records on site and they along with his discharge have been discussed at length. He had brief time in the RGA and RND being discharged on both counts as medically unfit. It would appear from this he never left British shores and I would have given up the hunt but for a postcard he sent home from Cape Town. Your suggestion of 'possibly Africa' has rekindled my hope of solving the mystery that surrounds my grandfather.

Many thanks, Roy

It doesn't help much, but the rattan blind and what appears to be a growing species of the same plant together with his clothing indicates that he is somewhere in the East (malaya?) possibly Africa

khaki

Hi Tim

I have to admit that my grandfather Sylvanus Brewer as been discussed at length under the topic SOLDIERS and I am clutching at straws by posting here but if you are interesting further enter his name in the serach facility and you will find two results which will give all details known. Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.

Roy

And if you are able to provide a name and what you know it would certainly assist.

Rgds

Tim D

Hi

Thanks for your comments, I'm afraid I know very little of my grandfather Sylvanus Brewer other than the information posted. The only medal card located for a Sylvanus Brewer suggests SWBs or North'd Fusiliers but I am not sure if this is his medal card.

He has a Wolseley helmet (on the floor) with what appears to be a 3 colour regimental 'flash' on the side of the pagri. The stable belt with affixed purse was common and pre-dates the widespread usage of coloured regimental versions. The most significant thing for me is his shirt, which has a fixed collar that was unusual for other ranks of that period. Certainly infantry ORs shirts were collarless. The combination of these items leads me to the conclusion that he is a cavalryman, or HT ASC, but it would be impossible to identify which regiment without knowing the precise colour arrangement of the flash.

If you knew the Station at which the photo was taken then it might help to narrow things down, even more so if you also had a date. Is there any kind of marking, or printing on the back?

Hi

Thanks for your comments, I'm afraid I know very little of my grandfather Sylvanus Brewer other than the information posted. The only medal card located for a Sylvanus Brewer suggests SWBs or North'd Fusiliers but I am not sure if this is his medal card.

I imagine the name is unusual so there is a chance that it is him. The regimental colours for the SWBs was Green and White and for the Northumberland Fusiliers Red and Amber. Orthochromatic film makes colour interpretation difficult, but on the subject photo I feel that it is possible to make out 3 different shades on the flash so on that basis those 2 regiments would not fit. However, that is just my interpretation of the flash, albeit that the shirt with collar and the stable belt also make those units less likely for the reasons I explained in the previous post.

Someone with expertise on looking up names might well be able to help you though. There are lots of people who will try and help you.

Oddly, my immediate reaction was a two-colour flash, the outer colours being the same.

Specsavers?

Oddly, my immediate reaction was a two-colour flash, the outer colours being the same.

Specsavers?

No Steven, you might well be right and it could be me who needs Specsavers. I looked carefully several times and thought I could see a difference in shade between the 2 dark colours, but that is just my interpretation and it could of course be wrong.

Are there tents in the background or am I seeing things?

Looked at the thread in soldiers. The RGA/RND and NF/SWB man could well be one in the same as it is an unusual name....and he could also have been in South Africa at some stage as suggested.

We have him enlisting with the RGA in September 1914 and discharging in November 1914. Then he enlists in the RND in March 1915 and discharges in July 1915. He then appears to be in Wales in January 1916. This leaves November 1914 to March 1915 and July 1915 to January 1916 when he could have been in South Africa or elsewhere....so relatively brief periods.

The Medal Index Card for the SWB and NF is post January 1916 as he did not receive a 1914/15 Star. The patch looks like it has a white stripe to me...so could be SWB as suggested by FROGSMILE...the 1/1 Bn was in India and 4th Bn in Egypt and Mesopotamia...so perhaps he was serving with one of them when the photo was taken? Cross and dots on the MIC seem to denote that he first served with SWB. Obtaining his Medal Rolls should hopefully clear up which battalion. His medical condition appears to be such that he could have been restored to fully fit after a short period of treatment.

He could also have ended up in South Africa after January 1916...perhaps on his way to Mesopotamia or India to join 2nd Garrison Bn, NF as suggested by Graham Stewart or the SWB (although I guess route would be a little unusual).

Can anything been gleaned regarding enlistments timings from the his service numbers on the Medal Index Card?

Rgds

Tim

Are there tents in the background or am I seeing things?

Looked at the thread in soldiers. The RGA/RND and NF/SWB man could well be one in the same as it is an unusual name....and he could also have been in South Africa at some stage as suggested.

We have him enlisting with the RGA in September 1914 and discharging in November 1914. Then he enlists in the RND in March 1915 and discharges in July 1915. He then appears to be in Wales in January 1916. This leaves November 1914 to March 1915 and July 1915 to January 1916 when he could have been in South Africa or elsewhere....so relatively brief periods.

The Medal Index Card for the SWB and NF is post January 1916 as he did not receive a 1914/15 Star. The patch looks like it has a white stripe to me...so could be SWB as suggested by FROGSMILE...the 1/1 Bn was in India and 4th Bn in Egypt and Mesopotamia...so perhaps he was serving with one of them when the photo was taken? Cross and dots in the MIC seem to denote that he first served with SWB. Obtaining his Medal Rolls should hopefully clear up which battalion. His medical condition appears to be such that he could have been restored to fully fit after a short period of treatment.

He could also have ended up in South Africa after January 1916...perhaps on his way to Mesopotamia or India to join 2nd Garrison Bn, NF as suggested by Graham Stewart (although I guess route would be a little unusual).

Can anything been gleaned regarding enlistments timings from the his service numbers on the Medal Index Card?

Rgds

Tim

If it is a 2 colour flash then two outer stripes of green and an inner stripe of white would be correct for the SWB and your assessment of Mespot/Egypt with the 4th Bn works totally for me. My only reservation is his order of dress with the shirt, belt and trousers (at half mast), which would have sent an infantry sergeant major apoplectic (even in wartime), this would be less so for say a stables parade in the cavalry, or RGA/ASC, where there was a degree more pragmatism.

The mystery surrounding my grandfather has certainly grabbed your interest and I am truly grateful to each and everyone of you for your time and comments. Tim mentioned obtaining his medal rolls? Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the term 'medal rolls', can someone please explain how I go about getting these.

Regards to all, Roy

If it is a 2 colour flash then tow outer stripes of green and an inner stripe of white would be correct for the SWB and your assessment of Mespot/Egypt with the 4tt Bn works totally for me. My only reservation is his order of dress with the shirt, belt and trousers at half mast, which would have sent an infantry sergeant major apoplectic (even in wartime), this would be less so for say a stables parade in the cavalry, or RGA/ASC, where there was a degree more pragmatism.