Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star

glengyle

The 1914 Star, with the 5th August - 22nd Nov 1914 bar on the ribbon, was issued to my grandfather.

Two questions.

1. What date were they actually issued to the recipients? The medal was issued to Pte W Thompson 10215 3/HRS and I have a photograph with the ribbon both as a Sgt. and an officer "under training" with a white band around cap. Am I right about the white band?

2. I understood that the condition for the medal / bar was that they served in France between those two dates and I believe he signed up on the 16th August 1914. So am I missing something or am I wrong with his joining date?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to work my way back to his pre WW1 days. Sorry 3 questions.

Having looked at his medal index card, 16 August 1914 is the date he landed in France, not the date he enlisted. This would suggest he was a regualr soldier. Someone will probably be able to give you an estimate of when he actually enlisted based on his service number. The card also states that he was commissioned 5 March 1919 in 2RCR - the only thing I can think of with this abbreviation would be Royal Canadian Regiment?

On second thoughts Reserve Cavalry Regiment makes more sense.

You are missing something, probably date of enlistment. To have received the Star and the Clasp, he would have to have served within range of enemy artillery at some time between those dates. The Star was authorised in 1917 and the Clasp in 1919. The white cap band would usually signify an Officer Cadet, although, if the photo was taken taken in England, it could signify his participation in a so-called "war game" or divisional manouevres. Antony

The 1914 star was granted late in 1917 and Army Orders said that each man qualified was to receive enough ribbon for two jackets. Thus it is eminently possible for a man assumed to be entitled to the medal to be wearing the ribbon by Christmas 1917.

However, the issue of the medal was much later because rolls had to be made out and submitted. I know of no case where the issue was earlier than 1919 but experts may put me right.

The qualification for the medal was to be in France and Flanders on active service before the cut-off date. More difficult was qualification for the clasp/bar, where one had to be within range of enemy mobile artillery during the same period.

Of course enlistment did not, in most cases, mean getting into F&F in time to qualify for either. However, many such earned the 1914-15 star, period remainder of 1914 and all of 1915.

An expert will no doubt put me straight.

Having looked at his medal index card, 16 August 1914 is the date he landed in France, not the date he enlisted. This would suggest he was a regualr soldier. Someone will probably be able to give you an estimate of when he actually enlisted based on his service number. The card also states that he was commissioned 5 March 1919 in 2RCR - the only thing I can think of with this abbreviation would be Royal Canadian Regiment?

On second thoughts Reserve Cavalry Regiment makes more sense.

Thanks very much for your help. I've looked at his Medal Card but all the numbers and abbreviations don't mean a lot to me.

I've a picture of him in uniform as a two pip officer with Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, or at least I believe that is the badge.

During the second WW he was at my mother and fathers wedding in South Staffordshire uniform sporting 3 pips.

My problem in researching him is that he ran away from home, added a year to his age, adopted the name Thompson and joined up. I'm trying to find out where he joined to give me an idea of where he came from.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Thanks very much for your help. I've looked at his Medal Card but all the numbers and abbreviations don't mean a lot to me.

I've a picture of him in uniform as a two pip officer with Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, or at least I believe that is the badge.

During the second WW he was at my mother and fathers wedding in South Staffordshire uniform sporting 3 pips.

My problem in researching him is that he ran away from home, added a year to his age, adopted the name Thompson and joined up. I'm trying to find out where he joined to give me an idea of where he came from.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

These from The Times Archive might be of interest:

Dec 24, 1917

The issue and wearing of the Riband of the “1914 Star” form the subject of a new Army Council Instruction. It is notified that preliminary issue of 4in of riband has been sanctioned for each individual now serving who is entitled to the decoration.

Jan 11, 1919

THE 1914 STAR

ISSUE TO NAVAL & MILITARY UNITS

It is officially announced that the 1914 star is now ready for issue to officers and men of the Navy and of certain regiments the Army who are qualified to receive it. Instructions are given as to the mode of application. The announcements are made in the following form:-

THE NAVY

Notice is given that the '1914 star' is now ready for issue to the officers and men of the RN, RM, RNAS, RNR, and RNVR who actually served in France or Belgium on the establishment of a Naval units landed for shore service on shore between August 5 and Midnight November 22-23 1914.

Provided their claims are approved by the Admiralty, Officers and men of the following Naval Units are entitled to the Star:-

Naval Transport Staff on Shore

Armoured Trains

Naval Mission with Belgium Army

Machine-gun parties landed from HM ships Severn, Mersey, and Humber

RN Hospital, Dunkirk

RNAS Dunkirk

RNAS No.1 and No.3 Wings

RNAS Armoured Cars

RN Brigade, Ostend

RN Division, Antwerp

Those who have deserted, or been dismissed with disgrace, since the qualifying service will not be granted the Star

Applications from officers and men not now serving should be made to the Accountant-General of the Naval (Medal Branch), London, SW1, and should be accompanied by certificates of discharge. The decorations earned by deceased officers and men will be issued to their legatees or next of kin entitled to receive them. Claims addressed as above should be accompanied, when available, by the certificate of the Inspector's wills issued in respect of their naval assets

THE ARMY

The Secretary of the War Office announces that the ‘1914 Star’ for officers and other ranks of the undermentioned regiments is now ready for issue. Applications in the case of officers should be addressed to the Secretary, War Office (AG10), 27, Pilgrim-street, EC4; other ranks should apply to the Officer in Charge of Records concerned:-

Household Cavalry

Foot Guards

Royal Highlanders

Seaforth Highlanders

Gordon Highlanders

Cameron Highlanders

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

After this announcements of the readiness for issue of the '14 star to specific regiments (and where to apply) were made in the classified advertising section as follows (I doubt this is complete: these are the regiments that show up using '1914 Star' as the search term limited to 'advertising' in 1919):

Feb 22, 1919

Royal Scots

Royal Scots Fusiliers

King's Own Scottish Borderers

Scottish Rifles

Highland Light Infantry

Mar 22, 1919

South Lancashire Regiment

South Wales Borders

Welsh Regiment

Shropshire Light Infantry

Monmouthshire Regiment

Cheshire Regiment

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Apr 14, 1919

Northumberland Fusiliers

East Yorkshire Regiment

Durham Light Infantry

West Yorkshire Regiment

West Riding Regiment

Yorkshire Light Infantry

York and Lancaster Regiment

May 12, 1919

Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Hampshire Regiment

Wiltshire Regiment

Devonshire Regiment

Somerset Light Infantry

Dorsetshire Regiment

NigelS

The Times 22nd March 1919 - Pg 22 'Special Announcements'

post-5512-0-48663700-1301477371.jpg

Further to this:-

The paper of November 1st, '19 gives that the WO had announced that discharged or demobilized men who qualified for the Clasp & Roses could apply for the award by completing a form obtainable from Post office and forwarding it to the Officer in Charge of Records of the corps with which they last served. Applications made otherwise than on these forms will be ignored. (the paper had announced the award on the 20th October)

Dec 18, 1919

CLASP TO 1914 STAR.

AWARDS TO NAVAL MEN

In an official order issued yesterday the Admiralty announced that the King had approved the grant of a clasp to the officers and men who have been awarded the ‘1914 Star’ and who actually served under the fire of the enemy in France and Belgium between August 5, 1914, and midnight, November 22-23, 1914.

The clasp will be in bronze and will bear the inscription: ‘5th August – 22nd November 1914’. In undress uniform when ribands are worn, the grant of the clasp will be denoted by the wearing of a small silver rose in the centre of the riband. Two roses will be issued with each clasp. Provided the claims are approved by the Admiralty, the clasp will be issued to all officers and men of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Naval Reserve, and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve who were actually present on duty within range of the enemy’s mobile artillery between the dates mentioned. The clasps earned by officers and men who have died will be issued to their legatees or next-of-kin entitled to receive them.

Notification will be given when the roses and clasps are ready for issue, and no application should be made for them until then.

Service in the following unit does not qualify for the clasp:- Transport staffs; Royal Naval Hospital, Dunkirk; Royal Marine Brigade, Ostend; Royal Naval Air Service, Dunkirk; Royal Naval Air Service, Dunkirk; Royal Naval Division detachments at Dunkirk; divisional engineers and divisional train.

The readiness of these for issue was announced on 22nd June, 1920 with applications by former naval men to be made to: the Accountant – General of the Navy, Medal Branch, Admiralty, London, S.W.1., and should be accompanied by the applicant’s discharge certificate or other evidence of identity, and a statement giving the place and period of service under fire and the name of the commanding officer of the applicant’s unit during that period.

Feb 21, 1920

The War Office states that all the '1914 Stars' are ready for issue. Those for warrant officers, non-commissioned officers, and men have been sent to the Officers in Charge of Records concerned, to whom application should be made by those who are entitled to the decoration, but have not yet received it.

A number of Stars due to officers and the relatives of deceased officers still remain to be issued, and applications for these should be made to the Secretary, War Office (A.G. 10), 27, Pilgrim-street, E.C.4.

I would imagine that for the '14 Star, although there were initially production delays for the medal and riband, the phased issue was probably down to the time necessary for the compilation of the Medal Rolls and MICs, not the manufacture.

NigelS

Nigel,

1914 Star Roll for the 8th Royal Scots was compiled January 1918.

Medal to casualty member of Battalion,issued 24th February 1920.

Clasps not claimed.

George