Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S-D, Memories of Forty-Eight Years Service

Anthony Pigott

I've just acquired a copy of "Memories of Forty-Eight Years' Service" by General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien (London, John Murray, 1925).

Although not cheap, it was much less than it might have been on account of the frontispiece, a picture of S-D, being missing. :(

It would be good to replace it with a copy of some sort. I wondered whether anyone might own / have access to a copy and could let me know what the picture looks like (I presume it's one of the usual portraits). A high resolution scan would, of course, be wonderful. :rolleyes:

Many thanks.

Anthony

Anthony - I can't help with a S-D photo but would be interested in your comments on the book when you have read it.

Typical price seems to be around £150. I would have thought a reprint would be quite popular in view of the continuing interest in the events of 1914.

I think or should i say know that some of his book is on the net i have downloaded some of it relevant to 1914.

Also he praises Forestier-Walker, his BGGS in his memoirs and if you saw my post a few days ago you will see that during the retreat F-W asked Murray GHQ COS to relieve him as he was sick of SD's temper tantrums!

I have never rated the eveidence for his foul temper but this says there might be something to it?

regards

Arm.

Anthony - I can't help with a S-D photo but would be interested in your comments on the book when you have read it.

Typical price seems to be around £150. I would have thought a reprint would be quite popular in view of the continuing interest in the events of 1914.

I've only had a quick scan so far - about a quarter of it is about the Great War. I'll try to comment further later.

A lot of it is about the Zulu and South African Wars which, of course, makes S-D of great interest to enthusiasts for those periods. This may have contributed to the high price for the book but equally would increase the demand for a reprint. It's certainly a pity that it's not more widely available - his career is a very impressive story which deserves to be better known (IMHO).

Anthony

.... Also he praises Forestier-Walker, his BGGS in his memoirs and if you saw my post a few days ago you will see that during the retreat F-W asked Murray GHQ COS to relieve him as he was sick of SD's temper tantrums!

I have never rated the eveidence for his foul temper but this says there might be something to it? ....

For those that might be interested, this discussion has continued on another thread:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16101

Just trying to keep this one on the straight and narrow! ;)

Has anyone got the book? :)

Regards

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying to revive the thread in case anyone hasn't seen it - apologies to those who have. :rolleyes:

Has anyone got the book and are able to tell me what the frontispiece looks like, please?

Many thanks. :)