Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Medals

SharonD214

This was my grandfather, Raymond Gannon's medal. Does anyone know what this would have been for? He was an Army Sgt in WW1 enlisted 13 Aug 1917.

post-67675-0-42508100-1301319148.jpg

Hello and welcome!Isn't it dated 5th November 1913? Is that any known birth date in the family? Perhaps Wedding day?

Looks more like a personal medallion, rather than an "official" medal to my untutored eyes.

Probably souvenired posssibly from a Barvarian POW or a body or a dug out

Probably souvenired posssibly from a Barvarian POW or a body or a dug out

I was thinking that very thing, unless of course he was Bavarian by ancestry...you never know!

Now, BARvarians, on the other hand...I wanna hang out with those fellas!

:)

Daniel

No, It's reads 5 Nov 1918. It's easier to see on the bigger image that I have from my cousin :)

Sharon

Hello and welcome!Isn't it dated 5th November 1913? Is that any known birth date in the family? Perhaps Wedding day?

Looks more like a personal medallion, rather than an "official" medal to my untutored eyes.

Thanks so much, I was looking everywhere for this!

Sharon

Souvenir medallion for the accession of Ludwig III to the Bavarian throne.

Cheers,

GT.

No he was Irish :)

Sharon

Hm, very interesting! Was he Bavarian?

Daniel

Was he a Mason? It could be a masonic medal. 5th November 1918 marks the last meeting and closure of the The Gastvrijheid Lodge established in the Netherlands for the British military internees who were masons and its transfer back to England.

The only other major events on that day (other than continued fighting on the WF) were

The death of the Hindu Saint Sai Baba

The acceptance of the 14 points by the German peace delegation

The ascension to the throne of Dungarpur of Maharawal Lakshaman Singh

It doesn't look like a military medal

I'm not sure if he was a mason or not, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks

Sharon

Was he a Mason? It could be a masonic medal. 5th November 1918 marks the last meeting and closure of the The Gastvrijheid Lodge established in the Netherlands for the British military internees who were masons and its transfer back to England.

The only other major events on that day (other than continued fighting on the WF) were

The death of the Hindu Saint Sai Baba

The acceptance of the 14 points by the German peace delegation

The ascension to the throne of Dungarpur of Maharawal Lakshaman Singh

It doesn't look like a military medal

Right: the 1918 thing helps and I also wonder if it's the 3, not a 5.

Because if the 3rd then....it's something to do with the liberation of Trento and Trieste (note the Italian Novembre), and see similar item on eBay: HERE; and HERE.

Cheers,

GT.

Actually looking more closely at the picture from my cousin - mind you I don't have the actual medal, it does appear to be 3 Novembre 1918 and then has my grandfathers initials RJG imprinted under the date, so I believe the medal must have been awarded to him, but still not sure for what?

Thanks

Sharon

Right: the 1918 thing helps and I also wonder if it's the 3, not a 5.

Because if the 3rd then....it's something to do with the liberation of Trento and Trieste (note the Italian Novembre), and see similar item on eBay: HERE; and HERE.

Cheers,

GT.

Actually looking more closely at the picture from my cousin - mind you I don't have the actual medal, it does appear to be 3 Novembre 1918 and then has my grandfathers initials RJG imprinted under the date, so I believe the medal must have been awarded to him, but still not sure for what?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Were the initials engraved into the medallion or are they cast? If cast, rather than engraved, they may be the initals of the designer (a remarkable coincidence) which may help us figure out what this actually is.

It's hard to tell. It looks like some kind of stamping mechanism was used the the R appears doubled at the top, as if the stamp slipped while they were doing it.

Hi Sharon,

Were the initials engraved into the medallion or are they cast? If cast, rather than engraved, they may be the initals of the designer (a remarkable coincidence) which may help us figure out what this actually is.

post-67675-0-85056800-1301405498.jpg

I wonder if this is a watch chain and the medal is simply being used as fob? It need have no intrinsic significance then. Simply a distinctive object to mark the watch as his.