Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Register of effects

Wdragon

I recently discovered that there is another source of data on soldiers who died in the Great War. The National Army Museum (NAM) in Chelsea holds the register of soldiers effects from 1901 to 1960. They are not open to public access. The registers list deceased soldier's name, rank, unit, date of death, (sometimes place of death, name and address of next of kin and the sums of any monies that were sent to his NOK. A transcription of an entry (you must supply the name and date of death) costs £10.25, written application must be made to

National Army Museum

Royal Hospital Road

Chelsea

London

SW3 4HT

Somewhat expensive and a bit slow, but potentially a valuable source.

If this is widely known (it certainly wasn't by me), I apologise for bothering you with this message.

Regards

David

I recently discovered that there is another source of data on soldiers who died in the Great War. The National Army Museum (NAM) in Chelsea holds the register of soldiers effects from 1901 to 1960. They are not open to public access. The registers list deceased soldier's name, rank, unit, date of death, (sometimes place of death, name and address of next of kin and the sums of any monies that were sent to his NOK. A transcription of an entry (you must supply the name and date of death) costs £10.25, written application must be made to

National Army Museum

Royal Hospital Road

Chelsea

London

SW3 4HT

Somewhat expensive and a bit slow, but potentially a valuable source.

If this is widely known (it certainly wasn't by me), I apologise for bothering you with this message.

Regards

David

David:

Its news to me too. Do you know if they have records for the disbanded Irish regiments there as well.

Thanks

momsirish

They do not have records for regiments; they have them for individuals, and only for some of those who died. The effects records are very limited in what they tell you but are worth a try.