Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What uniform?

Fransmoy

As far as I know grandad Errington Ross never fought in a war but he certainly joined three forces. I think he must be with the Lovat Scouts in one but the other could be either the Highland Volunteer Artillery or the Inverness Light Horse which he raised with two others Kenneth Gillanders and William Macalllister.

post-37452-0-98593100-1301272557.jpg

post-37452-0-02087100-1301272590.jpg

Scottish Horse is more likely with the three buttons on the tunic cuffs in the left photo.

Can the collar badges be enlarged clearly? They look like Scottish Horse shape. Photo looks pre-war with the slouch hat. Nice photo.

Photo on the right is a little small for detail.

Scott

Edit- compare with uniforms in this recent thread.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161598&st=0&p=1567416&hl=+scottish%20+horse&fromsearch=1entry1567416

Looks like SH, a thread further down has more deatail Scottish Horse. Hope that helps.

Atnomis

Thank you chaps.Here he is seated on the front row extreme left next to Col Baillie and again he is wearing the same titfer I think as in the smaller picture.I'm sorry I cannot enlarge the pics without distortion. I assumed this to be a Lovat Scout group as Col Baillie is named and I found he was appointed C.O. of the 2nd Lovat Scouts in 1914. I am puzzled by the hat I must say.

Fransmoy

post-37452-0-13365700-1301323045.jpg

The small photograph is Lovat Scouts - but it appears to be reversed. Large photo is Scottish Horse. I understand that the slouch hat was retained as part of full-dress uniform until the outbreak of the War and, thereafter, was replaced by the service-dress Atholl bonnet. Antony

The small photograph is Lovat Scouts - but it appears to be reversed. Large photo is Scottish Horse. I understand that the slouch hat was retained as part of full-dress uniform until the outbreak of the War and, thereafter, was replaced by the service-dress Atholl bonnet. Antony

Thank you gentlemen.Now to find the archives to see whether or not he went to war ! He died in 1933 aged 62 amost 10 years before I was born so not only did I never know him he was not talked of except in relation to his farm and business.

Fransmoy