Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P 1907 Bayonet

John Cubin

Recently acquired my first WW1 bayonet. Limited knowledge gained from googling tells me it's an Enfield made Sept 1914 and bend tested. EFD under a broad arrow and the date '14 are stamped on the scabbard which is almost black but scuffing reveals the brown of the leather. There is some woodworm in the handgrips. This looks like a well used weapon, the sharp point and the sharpened edge to the blade suggest so.

The blade needs a clean. Not rusty but seems to have had some Vaseline or similar, applied. Would something like lighter fuel do the trick? What did Tommy Atkins use to keep it clean?

The scabbard also suggests much use, being dark and well scuffed. The metal is pitted. I don't propose to buff it up at all as I want it to remain a good example of a working bayonet. I have a concern about the scabbard now being subjected to gas central heating and wonder if that might make the leather dry and brittle over time. Any suggestions, please, as to what to apply (or not) to ensure it's survival?

Thank you.

post-2613-0-87341500-1301149863.jpg

Hi John

The protective coating on the blade is probably some form of cosmolene. It will do a very good job of protecting the blade and can be messy to remove! Unless you want to display the blade you might leave this stuff on I know some collectors who do (although it hardens into a waxy crust over time.) Solvents will indeed remove it - I usually wipe them as thoughoughly as possible with rags before using any solvents (careful with these around the wood) - actually I try and avoid solvents and usually wrap the bayonet (or rifle) in rags and then place it in a black bin bag in the sun. A couple of hours of this melts the cosmoleme and I can wipe and repeat as needed - this gets the vast majority of the stuff out even from thoroughly saturated stocks. For bayonets once it has been removed a light wipe over with a high-grade machine or gun oil is sufficient for preserving.

Everything you could possibly want to know about leather preserving is to be found in this excellent thread.

Chris

Hello Chris. Thank you for your reply. It all makes sense to me and I shall tread warily. The lead to the leather protection pages is an absolute gem. So informative. I will now sit back and read through it again but, certainly, my first impression is to leave well alone and that is what I will do. I'm just so glad I tried the forum before applying any of the usual "leather protectors/preservers". To think of the long-term damage I could have done.......

Thanks again. Brilliant.

John.