Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map references ?

munchkin

Hi All,

On the war diaries the person who wrote them refers to a map reference, such as (57CSE). Where would i look for this map and ref, is it available online?.

Also what was the GREEN LINE, and also refered to is LANCASHIRE TRENCH and SOMME ALLEY, where were they?. I presume that Somme Alley is on the Somme but where?. All these trench names also refer to map ref 57CSE.

Thanks.

Munchkin

I don't know very much about the map refs you mention but:

Green Line is on the Ancre. IGN 1:25000, Map no.2407O, Ref 624/2564

Lancashire Trench is 1km WNW of Bazentin-le-Petit. IGN map no. 2408E. Ref 629/2560

Somme Alley is 500m NNE of Bazentin le Petit. Map 2408E ref. 630/2560

Hope this is helpful

Martin

Hi munchkin

57CSE covers a very large area including Gonnelieu and Villers-Guislain on the Cambrai front. This area is divided into 4 maps - 1-2-3 & 4.

I do have a couple of these maps and will see if I can find LANCASHIRE TRENCH and SOMME ALLEY.

Annette

Thanks Guys,

From the diaries it also mentions that the Bn HQ was set up at P34 ref map 57cse.

Would this help at all.

Found them - Somme Alley runs through Gauche Wood to Lancashire Trench. Gauche Wood lays between Gouzeacourt and Villers-Guislain, and would have been the front line after the German counter-attack at Cambrai, 1917.

Annette

Thanks Annette,

Very much appreciated. But may i ask where you get your information from. Is it that you have reference books or did you find it on the net??.

munchkin

I have collected a few maps over the years researching the Shropshires, and you were in luck because my memory was turn on today, I know I had a few maps that were part of area 57.

I have scanned part of map you are interested in- see below.

Annette

post-4-1088706511.jpg

My info. comes from Official History, which records that Gauche Wood was captured by the Germans during their counter-attack but the 2/Grenadiers and 18th Lancers re-captured it on 1st of December.

Munchkin and Annette, you will be glad to know that Lancashire Trench, in Gauche Wood, is alive and well....but a bit reduced. It is still easily discernible and walk-alongable(!), about a foot or so deep, making it easy to picture the actions of the lads of 55th div (probably hence the name), 12th divs and others. The battalion HQ at P34, near Ytres, is a long way back for a front line unit, this may be when they were in support? Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I am very surprised that the trench is still visable after all these years. Thanks for your feedback it is appreciated.

Thanks

Glynn.