Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medics' arm/sleeve badges

les3011

I'm doing some research into medics arm/sleeve badges and have come across four different types so far but have been unable to find any real information about them, or why there are different versions of the same badge. They all appear to be approximately 1 3/4" - 2" in diameter (worn on both sleeves), generally with a white background and a Geneva Cross in the middle encircled by a coloured ring or rings. Most seem to have either a red outer ring or, a black outer ring with a yellow/gold inner ring next to it (and a central red cross on a white background). I have also found two other types; one, as the previous ones but with two green outer rings (one darker than the other) with a red cross in the middle, whilst another has a purple cross in the middle with a purple outer ring and an orange inner ring. I've attached a few photos and would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to why there were differences in these insignia.

Many thanks<BR clear=all>

post-59518-0-39075400-1300997311.jpg

post-59518-0-10657000-1300997330.jpg

post-59518-0-87705000-1300997380.jpg

I'm doing some research into medics arm/sleeve badges and have come across four different types so far but have been unable to find any real information about them, or why there are different versions of the same badge. They all appear to be approximately 1 3/4" - 2" in diameter (worn on both sleeves), generally with a white background and a Geneva Cross in the middle encircled by a coloured ring or rings. Most seem to have either a red outer ring or, a black outer ring with a yellow/gold inner ring next to it (and a central red cross on a white background). I have also found two other types; one, as the previous ones but with two green outer rings (one darker than the other) with a red cross in the middle, whilst another has a purple cross in the middle with a purple outer ring and an orange inner ring. I've attached a few photos and would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to why there were differences in these insignia.

Many thanks<BR clear=all>

The badge was an International symbol of the Red Cross and was not worn by only the British Army, which had its own specific version as a sealed pattern approved by an Army Dress Committee for the Royal Army Medical Corps only (although it can be seen worn by others). I suspect that other varieties of the badges belong to other medical organizations.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen photos of medics with RAMC shoulder titles wearing both the red outer ring type and the black/yellow ringed type. Although I must admit that I have also seen a couple of photos of medics with the red outer ring type that appeared to be wearing infantry regt. shoulder titles, similar to a Manchesters' or a Gloster's.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen photos of medics with RAMC shoulder titles wearing both the red outer ring type and the black/yellow ringed type. Although I must admit that I have also seen a couple of photos of medics with the red outer ring type that appeared to be wearing infantry regt. shoulder titles, similar to a Manchesters' or a Gloster's.

I confess I am unaware of any variations, but perhaps some men bought their own from tailors and outfitters to supplement issue badges.