Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Uniform

Jammydodgers

Lads,

At the risk of looking like a complete idiot......

The attached pic is my GGfather L/Cpl William George Chalkley RAMC, I have some documents pertaining to his service in the Boer War but have since been told that this uniform is WW1. Should this be the case I'll have a whole new research project to undertake :thumbsup: , so I;m hoping one of you can confirm please?

Thanks in advance

JD

post-61400-0-02972200-1300921948.jpg

Yes of that era [ie:~ WW1] it appears he has the South Africa ribbons "up" :thumbsup:

Lads,

At the risk of looking like a complete idiot......

The attached pic is my GGfather L/Cpl William George Chalkley RAMC, I have some documents pertaining to his service in the Boer War but have since been told that this uniform is WW1. Should this be the case I'll have a whole new research project to undertake :thumbsup: , so I;m hoping one of you can confirm please?

Thanks in advance

JD

post-61400-0-02972200-1300921948.jpg

Yes, he is wearing the SD uniform issued from 1902 onwards and has medal ribbons from the second Boer war above the left chest pocket. It is the style of uniform worn throughout WW1 and into the 1930s, being gradually replaced from 1940 on.

JD

It looks very much like a WW1 photo to me. In which case the only name in the National Archives that fits is 41916 W Chalkley, for whom there appear - strangely - to be two identical medal index cards.

Regards,

W.

Ah I know you wouldnt let me down guys - thank you

Now, I'm sure once I have a think about that (and of course a chat with my dad) I'll have a million more questions.

I hope the weather where ever you are is as good as it is here in Dublin right now, hope you all have a smashing weekend

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Ah I know you wouldnt let me down guys - thank you

Now, I'm sure once I have a think about that (and of course a chat with my dad) I'll have a million more questions.

I hope the weather where ever you are is as good as it is here in Dublin right now, hope you all have a smashing weekend

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

And the top of the day to you too sir. :)

And the top of the day to you too sir. :)

She's a she! Glad to be able to help, JD.

Mr F failed to read the small print: "Gender" ..........

Such headings used to ask "Sex?" to which the correct reply was "Yes please!"