Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this uniform and badges?

vea53

A friend has asked me to find out what regiment her grandfather, William Wallace born 1906, served in. There are lots of soldiers with this name in the Medal Roll Indexes!

She has given me a photo, so I have scanned it to get close up of his badges. I hope I have attached them correctly.

Everytime I have asked for help on the forum someone has answered my query almost straight away.

Many Thanks

Vea53

post-37623-0-03569400-1300900296.jpg

post-37623-0-55455700-1300900547.jpg

If he was born in 1906 is is rather unlikely to be WWI service isn't it?

It looks to me as though there might be a Harp on the buttons - which might be an Irish connection?

Chris

Hi Vea,

I agree with Chris, this is definitely Irish. I have a similar photo with two brothers? showing very similar badges at the collar and I know that they are Irish--but exactly what I cannot say.

I expect someone will be along soon with a more convincing explanation.

Robert

Post 1922 Irish infantry circa 1924-31, but still wearing British great coats perhaps. This link refers: http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com/metal/metal_index.html

Is that a figure 10 on the collar badge? Does that mean something to the experts?

D

According to Frogsmile's link, it should stand for 10th Infantry Bn.:thumbsup:

Thank you all for your very prompt replies, it only took 4 minutes for the discussion to start!

As William Wallace was not one of my own ancestors I hadn't really worked out his age in relation to his military service.

My friend is Irish, so it all makes sense.

The Irish Insignia site is very interesting, I'm sure there will be other members of my Family History group who will find it useful.

I will now post a note in the Regiment section of the forum and see what other information I can get for her about its history.

I'm not sure where I find details about soldiers who enlisted after the Great War.

Thank you once again.

Vera