Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UNKNOWN INSIGNIA

General Confusion

Hi

Help required

The attached was found amongst the family heirlooms. Unfortunately Granddad and several of his siblings serverd in the First and Granddad's sons were in the Second - however I am not sure which units.

Any light that can be shed would be much appreciated

Many thankspost-58367-0-96037900-1300879053.jpg

Hi

Help required

The attached was found amongst the family heirlooms. Unfortunately Granddad and several of his siblings serverd in the First and Granddad's sons were in the Second - however I am not sure which units.

Any light that can be shed would be much appreciated

Many thankspost-58367-0-96037900-1300879053.jpg

Grumpy is the man for this, JG

WOW!!

That is what I call a fast answer

I didn't realise I had it until a couple of weeks ago, but since then I have been puzzling over it

A supplementary question if I may. Is the design restricted to a certain time frame or is it a generic one that would cover both wars?

Thanks so much for the info so far

I think it's a Gunnery Prize Badge, not a gunlayer's badge. A Seaman Gunner wore a horizontal Gun and Star, Gunlayers wore crossed guns, no Star or Crown. G/Ls 2nd and 1st Class wore one and two Stars w Crossed Guns. Antony

There are some old and bold Gunnery (not drill) Instructors in the Navy today that would still wear it if they could, It's only gone out of use in the last 20 years or so

Alex

Looks like the insignia of an Assistant Instructor in Gunnery (WOII)

In 1898 the RA gunnery prize badges [awarded to all the men of the Prize battery etc] were reorganized, and the example was the top prize, the First Class. A worsted version for SD was intro. in 1902. Worn lower left arm.

However, crossed guns [alone, no crown] were ALSO the appointment badge of the Assistant Instructor in Gunnery ..... and I believe still current. Worn in conjunction with rank badge, both sleeves. Thus, a WO II AiG would these days have a very similar-looking badge array, but not a "one-piece".

Prize Battery!!

No wonder it was saved, I feel proud and that's two generations later

Many thanks to everybody for the input

That is one mystery solved, many many more to

Again many thanks for the time, patience and knowledge.