Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a couple of beginner's questions

Socrates2004

Greetings, all.

I am a newbie, not only to medal-collecting, but to trying to learn about WWI. I have no formal training in history (minus the obligatory basic college classes) but am interested in becoming something of a history buff, particularly when it comes to this war. I learn much better when I'm involved in a related activity, rather than just sitting down and reading books--though I plan to do that, as well. I was recently at the Louvre Antique Mall, and ran across a store selling old military medals, and it occurred to me that this would be the perfect activity for me to use to educate myself.

I have a few medals that I either got at the Louvre, or as Christmas gifts from my parents when I told them I was interested in this hobby. I have a French Legion d'Honneur (Chevalier), French Fighter Cross, and Belgian Order of Leopold. I also have what I've found is a very common grouping, of the British War Medal, Interallied Victory Medal, and the 1914-1915 Star, all from the same soldier.

Although I am an American, I would like to focus my collection on Europe (at first, anyway), in part because most of the war was fought without American assistance and also because I understand Britain is the only country that put the soldier's names on the medals (please correct me if this is not the case).

I have two basic questions, that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1.) The name of the soldier on my British grouping is S/Sjt G.M. Muller Cradock CDO--except for the 1914-1915 Star, which says M.G. Muller Cradock CDO, for some reason. I have tried finding him in the medal rolls online and have been unable to find an exact match, although there are a couple that are close. Simply searching on Google doesn't help either. Firstly, what does "CDO" stand for? If I can't find him in the medal roll, what is another way I might try?

2.) Secondly, what are some of the common ways that people collect WWI medals? I read "Collecting Military Medals," by Colin Narbeth, but his section on WWI consists of about 2 paragraphs and does not reveal anything I didn't know within 15 minutes of talking to the guy at the Louvre Antique Mall. How would you suggest a beginner try to structure his first collection? I was thinking of collecting the British War Medal from every regiment involved in a particular battle--which is something else I have to think about, but I was thinking the Battle of Kut, since I am somewhat educated in Middle Eastern topics. I honestly have no idea if that's something that even makes sense.

2.) Secondly, what are some of the common ways that people collect WWI medals? I read "Collecting Military Medals," by Colin Narbeth, but his section on WWI consists of about 2 paragraphs and does not reveal anything I didn't know within 15 minutes of talking to the guy at the Louvre Antique Mall. How would you suggest a beginner try to structure his first collection? I was thinking of collecting the British War Medal from every regiment involved in a particular battle--which is something else I have to think about, but I was thinking the Battle of Kut, since I am somewhat educated in Middle Eastern topics. I honestly have no idea if that's something that even makes sense.

Good evening Socrates2004,

Some common themes that collector use for First World War medals can include:

• Medals to a single regiment, or single unit
  • Medal groups including a specific medal or decoration (Other than the 1914-15 Star, BWM of VM)
  • Medals to a family name
  • Medals to fit a selected order of battle (such as your suggestion as all units at the Battle of Kut)
  • Medals to men from a town or county

As an alternative source for medal research and discussion, you will find a broad range of topics specific to the collecting of medals on the British Medal Forum.

Narbeth's book is very old and out of date these days. Better, if you want books, are:

The Medals Yearbook from Token Publishing and

British Campaign Medals 1914-2005 by Peter Duckers (Shire Publishing) - a short, colour illustrated

booklet.

Both readily findable on Amazon.

1.) The name of the soldier on my British grouping is S/Sjt G.M. Muller Cradock CDO--except for the 1914-1915 Star, which says M.G. Muller Cradock CDO, for some reason. I have tried finding him in the medal rolls online and have been unable to find an exact match, although there are a couple that are close. Simply searching on Google doesn't help either. Firstly, what does "CDO" stand for? If I can't find him in the medal roll, what is another way I might try?

Your medals were issued by the South African authorities. No service number will likely show on the medals which is normal for South African issue. If you have the victory medal in the group you should find on the reverse that it is the bilingual victory, unique to South Africa, where the wording is in English and Afrikaans. It is no good looking in the British National Archives (Medal Information Cards) for him as his records are in South Africa and as far as I know not available through the web.

It is indeed bilingual. Well, that solves that riddle. Thanks for the help.

As to my other question:

If I choose to focus on the order of battle from a particular battle (say, Verdun or Kut), what would you recommend in terms of which medal to search for from each regiment? Also, is there a way of finding out in what battles a particular soldier fought? It would seem disingenuous to collect based on a particular battle, only to find that one of the soldiers joined the regiment after the battle was over.

If I choose to focus on the order of battle from a particular battle (say, Verdun or Kut), what would you recommend in terms of which medal to search for from each regiment? Also, is there a way of finding out in what battles a particular soldier fought? It would seem disingenuous to collect based on a particular battle, only to find that one of the soldiers joined the regiment after the battle was over.

If you are focusing on a Great War battle, then seeking the British War Medal/Victory medal pair may be your best option, or the trios with the 1914-15 Star (or 1914 Star) if the soldier was serving early enough to also have received it. You may consider picking up lone singles to fill gaps in your collection until you find a representative full group, or you may be happy having the single medal to a soldier from that unit (for those men equally deserve to be commemorated and remembered.)

Confirming that each soldier actually fought in the battle you choose is another matter. For the British Army many First World War records are lost. Others will be able to help you establish the best alternative resources. For the Canadian Expeditionary Force, if your collecting theme expands to include them, service records are available from Library and Archives Canada for a fee. Australian service records are available on line.

One alternative you might consider, though some might consider it a bit macabre, would be to collect medals to soldiers from each unit that were casualties of the battle. That would solve the question of whether or not they were present.