Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig's despatch 16/03/1919

StuMc40

Like so, so many individuals my grandfather was mentioned in FM Haig's despatch for 16th March 1916 for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty during the period 16/09/1918 and 15/03/1919. But what sort of thisng was happening around this time? How do I find out what he actually did to deserve this mention?

The period in question covers part of the 100 Days campaign. This was a rolling series of attacks on the Germans across the Western Front. The British and Dominion forces played a significant role so there would have been many opportunities for grandfather to have shone during this fighting. A proud legacy for you and the family.

Robert

Like so, so many individuals my grandfather was mentioned in FM Haig's despatch for 16th March 1916 for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty during the period 16/09/1918 and 15/03/1919. But what sort of thisng was happening around this time? How do I find out what he actually did to deserve this mention?

Read about the 1918 "Battle of Amiens" and the "100 Days Campaign" (you can look them up in google) and you will have a far better idea of what your grandfather was up to. It was a period of highly fluid warfare and the beginnings of all arms (coordinated air/land action) tactics that would go on to win the war.

If you know his unit you can correlate with the dates concerned and then look up where they were and what they were doing. Unit war diaries that record day-to-day activity are available from the National Archives (and some are available online too), although be aware that the quality of their content often depended on the enthusiasm and diligence of the compiler.