Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Herbert Sextus Harris, RF att Gold Coast Regt

bushfighter

Supplement to the London Gazette dated 12 December, 1919 page 15449 appoints

Lieutenant Colonel Herbert Sextus Harris, Royal Fusiliers, attached Gold Coast Regiment, to be a Commander of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

in recognition of valuable services rendered in connection with military operations in German South West Africa.

This is intriguing.

Does any member have any information on this officer and his service in GSWA?

Harry

Harry

A few details as a start. According to his Medal Index Card his service in GSWA was as OC 1st Kimberley Regiment.

He was Mentioned in Despatches as Harris, Lt.-Col. H. S. for that campaign under 7th Infantry (Kimberley Regiment) in LG#30856, 22 August 1918, Page 9791 (link...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30856/supplements/9791).

For reasons unknown he would appear to have been added to the list of GSWA mentions again in LG#31938, 11 June 1920, Page 6453 (link...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31938/supplements/6453) but this time as Harris, Lt.-Col. H. S., C.B.E., R. Fus., attd. Gold Coast R.

According to the entry I've found in the London Gazette (LG#30504, 1 February 1918, Page 1527) his service with the West Africa Frontier Force seems to have commenced on 25th September 1917 when he was transferred to the General List for service with that force, link to the LG...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30504/supplements/1527.

Regards

Steve

Another snippet...

His commission into the Royal Fusiliers, LG#29826, 16 November 1916, Page 11125, link...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29826/supplements/11125

R. Fus.

Lt.-Col. H. S. Harris, late Kimberley Regt., to be temp. Capt. 17th Nov. 1916.

His MIC also shows that he first served in France from 24th December 1916, this was obviously with the Royal Fusiliers and didn't take into account the GSWA service. 1914/15 Star administered by the South Africans, BWM & Victory Medals on Roll "Gen & Spec List Off 145 Page 20B" and also on "COL/123 B2 Page 68".

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve

As usual your search ability, especially on MICs & the LG Supplements, makes mine look pathetic!

I haven't yet found any evidence that he was operational with the GCR - perhaps he was training the GCR Brigade that was destined for Palestine until the Turks stopped fighting.

Harry

Harry

His entry in the WO338 Index to Officer's Long Number Service Papers indicates he was a commissioned officer in "Kimberley Regt., 7, 13/7, Gold Coast". Kimberley Regt. and Gold Coast are self explanatory, the 7 and 13/7 refer to the Royal Fusiliers (7th Regt. of Foot) and the 13th Battalion Royal Fusiliers respectively.

An additional piece of information from the index shows he was demobilized on 19/03/1919.

The index also helps to find that he has a file at NA, Kew although your location will make it difficult to access ;) , it's under reference...

WO 339/89615 HARRIS H [1914-1922]

Regards

Steve

• 1 year later...

Harry/Steve.

This is my first message in this forum but I was interested in your exchange about Lt Col HS Harris. as he was my great uncle! Just wondered how you had come across him and what your interest in him is. He was born and grew up in KImberley where his father was involved in the diamond industry. I know a certain amount of his personal/family life but little of his military career so anything you can ad to that would be much appreciated.

Peter.

Peter

Thank you for your comment.

I just came across the name whilst perusing copies of the London Gazette - it would be good to learn more about his military service.

Harry

Harry

He was born in Kimberley 1884, the son of Colonel Sir David Harris who commanded the Kimberley Town Guard during the siege of Kimberley. Herbert was appointed Officer commanding the Kimberley Regiment in 1912 and commanded the Regiment through the campaign in South-West Africa (now broadly Namibia) between August 1914 and May 1915. He was then commissioned into the Royal Fusiliers in 1916, served in France and was wounded in February 1917. After recovery he served with the Kings Own Rifles in German East Africa (which now includes Burundi, Rwanda and Tanzania) from November 1917 to September 1918. Twice mentioned in despatches, we was awarded the CBE in 1919. After the war he returned to Kimberley where he died in 1932. We used to have his helmet which had a huge bullet hole in it but my mother threw it out during a general clear out after my father died in 1967! I'm sure he was by no means unique but it was quite an achievement to have served in three different theatres of the war - and survived!

Hope that's of interest to you and maybe others.

Peter.

Peter

Thank you very much.

Sorry about the helmet.

When I get back to home base in late October I'll research his East African service (I'm going to assume that he served in the King's African Rifles).

Harry