Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Number on Silver War Badge

mike050443

I acquired a Silver War Badge some while ago which will be part of a framed display I plan to make for my Grandfather. It has the number B48497 stamped on the back and I was wondering if any of the Forum pals could identify the soldier from the number, name, regiment, rank and if possible when and where he was wounded? The 'B" I thought denoted British. if that is the case how did it get to South Africa? A lot to ask but I would be most interested in its provenance.

Many Thanks

Mike (Warbux)

A Scarce badge to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers & an old sweat at that [enlisting in 1902!!] also the date of discharge being December 1914 suggests a very early casualty, The badge wasnt instituted until 1916, IIRC,but issues dated back to much earlier casualties are not common,the B prefix denotes "Army" {earlier Army Badges just had the number,no Prefix letter for UK troops}.I suspect he was discharged after a {lengthy?} hospitalisation.

Royal Marine Medal Roll 1914-1920 - details

First name(s): Martin

Last name: QUINLAN

Number: Deal/10694/S

Medals & clasps earned: Victory & British War Medals

Service branch: Royal Marine Labour Corps

Notes: Discharged Invalided 23/5/17. ex-8631 Private Royal Dublin Fusiliers (To France 23/8/14 - 1914 Star issued by War Office) - Discharged Invalided.

Wow, that fleshes out the badge provenance so nicely. I am always amazed by the helpfulness of the Forum pals. Its almost inspiring. :thumbsup:

I still dont know what sickness it was that terminated his service and maybe I wouldnt want to know. Perhaps best left as a private matter.

How did it get to South Africa? I had a thought that a grandson of this soldier would recognise his Grandfather and contact me. I would be quite amenable to the idea of reuniting it with his family.

I'll attach a photo of it, front and back.

Just one more question. How do I get all of this post to the 'request for photo of soldier' pages? Just maybe someone has a regimental photo ? :unsure:

Mike (warbucks)

post-48871-0-22775000-1300888203.jpg

post-48871-0-61377200-1300888208.jpg

"Sickness" covered Gas poisoning as well as all manner of Diseases/Conditions contracted & or aggravated by/on Active Service,certain conditions to which you "allude" would not satisfy; IIRC; the criteria for the issue of the SWB as would be considered Self Inflicted?

:devilgrin: