Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was ARDENT'S only surviving rating?- Jutland 1916

roymed64

I need to pick knowledgeable brains.

I have come up against a brick wall in my quest to find the name of the only surviving rating from the sinking of the destroyer HMS ARDENT at Jutland; sunk during the night action on 1 June1916. There were only two survivors, one being her captain, Lt. Comm. Arthur Marsden who was picked up by HMS MARKSMAN, the other was one of two ratings rescued by HMS OBDURATE from the ARDENT'S crew, one of whom unfortunately died on board. I have consulted many books but none mention the name of the surviving rating. The internet has also come up with a blank. Can anyone out there solve the mystery. Many thanks.

I've tried the Times Digital Archive and the London Gazette but no luck searching with Ardent + survived/survivor, sorry.

The casualty list is at TNA Kew, ref: ADM 1/8459/139 but whether that will also detail survivors I don't know (if casualty includes wounded, it may)

sJ

Neither Biddle or Garney appear in CWGC Debt of Honour, perhaps both survived?

I thought there was a suggestion that some RN survivors were rescued by a German seaplane?

Neither Biddle or Garney appear in CWGC Debt of Honour, perhaps both survived?

I thought there was a suggestion that some RN survivors were rescued by a German seaplane?

Many thanks for your efforts. At least I now have two names, but not the one I was hoping for. I have a medal to J14049 W.H.A. CURTIS. His sevice sheet has him serving in HMS ARDENT until June 1st 1916, which all fits, unless of course he was ill or on other duties in the destroyer depot ship HECLA. According to all published sources I have seen, only two ratings were saved, one of whom died on board OBDURATE.

The two survivors picked up by a German seaplane were in fact rescued from the next ARDENT which was sunk trying to protect the aircraft carrier GLORIOUS on 7 June 1940. Coincidentally, only two crew survived. ARDENT seems to have been an unlucky choice of name, as , of course another ARDENT was sunk in the Falklands conflict in '82.

Regards - Roy

Many thanks for your time and efforts. Cheers - Roy

I've tried the Times Digital Archive and the London Gazette but no luck searching with Ardent + survived/survivor, sorry.

The casualty list is at TNA Kew, ref: ADM 1/8459/139 but whether that will also detail survivors I don't know (if casualty includes wounded, it may)

sJ

This, from The Times of June 5th, '16, might help, although no way of knowing if it's accurate

post-5512-0-42521500-1300790156.jpg

NigelS

Excellent . Thanks a lot Nigel - all the best Roy

The two survivors picked up by a German seaplane were in fact rescued from the next ARDENT which was sunk trying to protect the aircraft carrier GLORIOUS on 7 June 1940.

Sorry, must have accARDENTally muxed them ip!!

Many thanks for your time and efforts. Cheers - Roy

Excellent . Thanks a lot Nigel - all the best Roy

I have downloaded both Garney's and Biddle's service sheets. Garney was a veteran who joined the Navy as a boy in 1891. Biddle joined for hostilities only in 1915. Both were serving in ARDENT and survived, Biddle being invalided after having three fingers amputated from his left hand. This is fact, and contradicts all the published works on Jutland I have read [including Corbett's Official History] which state that two ratings were picked up, one of whom died on board OBDURATE, the other being wounded. What other errors may have been made? My man may show up mistakenly as a surviving crewman of another sunken destroyer in the vicinity. Needs investigation me thinks! Cheers - Roy