Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Combined Military Services Museum, Maldon

pmaasz

I have just been to this fascinating museum in Maldon, Essex. It is easily accessible from the A.12. While the museum covers military items of all periods up to post-WW2 there is sufficient of WW1 vintage to make a visit very worthwhile. Having said that, I doubt that any military history buff would not be as interested in the non-WW1 stuff as I was, especially the spy equipment of Peter and Prue Mason. There is no doubt that Peter was the model for James Bond as he was a friend of Ian Fleming. (As an aside, Ian Fleming's father was an outstandingly brave officer in 'my' regiment the Oxfordshire Hussars). WW1 items in the museum include a vast array of rifles, carbines, machine guns and side-arma; munitions, uniforms and equipment. I recommend it: GO THERE! You will not be disappointed.

I have just been to this fascinating museum in Maldon, Essex. It is easily accessible from the A.12. While the museum covers military items of all periods up to post-WW2 there is sufficient of WW1 vintage to make a visit very worthwhile. Having said that, I doubt that any military history buff would not be as interested in the non-WW1 stuff as I was, especially the spy equipment of Peter and Prue Mason. There is no doubt that Peter was the model for James Bond as he was a friend of Ian Fleming. (As an aside, Ian Fleming's father was an outstandingly brave officer in 'my' regiment the Oxfordshire Hussars). WW1 items in the museum include a vast array of rifles, carbines, machine guns and side-arma; munitions, uniforms and equipment. I recommend it: GO THERE! You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the post pmassz. I will mention to Richard (the owner) when I see him next. Yes, it is a fantastic collection and we are really lucky to have it in town. It is of national importance and the GW material is particularly special. I often give talks at the museum and was really pleased when we used original GW material (uniform,. kit and smle) to illustrate the last one (on the experience of Maldon Lads in the GW).

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

I will second the recommendation. This is a very interesting museum with items from all periods, including some real one-offs, and has what is probably the best collection of English Civil War armour outside the Tower of London!

I will second the recommendation. This is a very interesting museum with items from all periods, including some real one-offs, and has what is probably the best collection of English Civil War armour outside the Tower of London!

Some of it even came from there! The Donnington collection of arms is quite amazing.

SPN

Maldon