Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attitude to medals...

o j kirby

Hello Troops,

My old friend, Dugald ( Duggie )Grant served with the 1st Cameron Highlanders. He was at the front from September 1916. Anyway, he told me that when he received his medals, he threw them into Loch Linnhe.

Are there any other stories of similar negative attitudes to the issue of WW1 medals?

I suspect that they are still down there...assuming the story is true!

Owain.

I have read, when the french unknown soldiers tomb had been inaugurated,for a short period of time the top was left open,many french soldiers threw their medals in as they couldnt buy food or lodgings so they were useless

Biff

Are there any other stories of similar negative attitudes to the issue of WW1 medals?

not all that uncommon an occurance really. My own grandad's and Gt.Uncle's medals ended up in the Leeds-Liverpool Canal in the post-war period. There were also hundreds of 'protest binnings and returns' of Flemish soldier's war medals too (some of which have been turned into a nice (and powerful) display at the Ijzertoren in Dixmude.

dave

I can quite understand this. War medals can only be worn with dignity within the context of a life with decent living standards. The huge disappointments of the 20s made a mockery of the award of these medals for many and turned them into trinkets.

A certain Mr Sassoon springs to mind. It was suspected that he threw his Military Cross into the Mersey but it later transpired it was just the ribbon bar.

Neil

There was this story Click about a BWM that was believed to have been thrown from a train window about 90 years ago, to be discovered more recently and returned to the man's descendants.

NigelS

Not his medals, but in the same vein....My partners Grandfather refused to collect his pension until the day he died in 1967. Not even the hard times of the 20's and 30's would make him take it. His wife didn't even know he was receiving it until he died. She was livid, said that they could have done with it during the depression with five children. I would suggest that the sentiment was the same for Reg as for those who threw their medals away......

Elizabeth

I wonder if the recent campaign medals appear on ebay for the same emotional reason, after all why chuck them in a river if you can get a couple of hundred quid for them. I have no attachment to my Campaign Service Medal at all, in fact I look at the slight dent and scratches with some cynicism, it was awarded to me by being thrown at me by an admin clerk in the admin office at Musgrave Echelon, it fell out of the box and skidded across the corridor and was then kicked back by a t*at of a sergeant. Fair recognition of 2 years campaign service.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

Since starting this topic, I have been awarded my Volunteer Reserves Service Medal for ten years in the TA. I had qualified for it more than 18 months ago. I suppose that at the time of qualifying, I had a sense of expectation, but now, after receiving it on 12th November, the novelty has worn off. I think my wife is more impressed than I am! Perhaps I will see it differently the next time we have a parade in N0.2's or No.1 uniform.

Owain.

Hello, Since starting this topic, I have been awarded my Volunteer Reserves Service Medal for ten years in the TA. I had qualified for it more than 18 months ago. I suppose that at the time of qualifying, I had a sense of expectation, but now, after receiving it on 12th November, the novelty has worn off. I think my wife is more impressed than I am! Perhaps I will see it differently the next time we have a parade in N0.2's or No.1 uniform. Owain.

Hi, congratulations on the award of your Volunteer Reserves Service Medal Owain. Any chance of a picture? I for one would be interested to see it. Yes I agree, 18 months is a long time to have to wait for an anticipated medal!

Hello,

Thanks for the compliment!

I don't have the technology to get an image online right now. However, if you go to goole images, and type in vrsm, you will see it.

Cheers,

Owain.

if you go to goole images

was this meant to be goolie?

Frank Richards tells of one of his RWF officer's CdeG [Fr] who said he would sell it for tuppence [from memory].

google?

Was there not an item recently-ish about Henry Allingham's medals being rediscovered in his toolbox in the shed?

...further to my last addition, the word should have read google...to see images of the VRSM. The keyboard I was using had a few personality problems, and several letters required extra effort!

Owain.