Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Stannus V. D. Douglas-Jones

Lancashire Fusilier

For the interest of Members, and particularly those interested in the WW1 Coldstream Guards and their Officer's Side Arms, I have in my Collection the complete set of Side Arms belonging to 2nd. Lt. Stannus Vernon Deacon Douglas-Jones, who was commissioned into the Coldstream Guards on 18th December 1917, and fought with the Coldstream Guards during 1918.

I have his personalized Coldtream Guards Officer's sword with the finely etched panel containing his initials S. V. D. D. J., his Webley .445 Service Revolver, Sam Brown belt, revolver holster, bullet pouch and revolver lanyard.

The sword is by E. Smith of Boyle Street, Savile Row, London. The Webley Revolver is rare in that it is still in it's original .445 calibre, and has Webley factory fitted Walnut grips, which I have never seen or heard of on this revolver model. Clearly 2nd. Lt. Stannus Douglas-Jones was an Officer of very good taste.

The Webley holster is Maker Marked and dated 1917.

Before entering the Coldstream Guards 2nd. Lt. Douglas-Jones was educated at Eton.

I would love to hear from anyone with any information on this Coldstream Guards Officer, Service History and or photographs, or indeed any other information would be greatly appreciated.

The photographs are a little dark, however, I can take some better ones if any member is interested.

I shall download several photographs.

Many thanks.

2nd Lieut. Stannus Vernon Deacon Douglas-Jones

Son of D. Jones of Belmont, Hoddesdon, Herts.

Educated at Eton from 1912 to 1916

Commissioned 2nd Lieut. RFC, 1916

Afterward 2nd Lieut., Coldstream Guards

Served in France from 1917 to 1918

After the war was a company director and nurseryman

Married Dorothea, daughter of C. A. Christie, The Chase, Southwater.

Source: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919.

Rflory,

Many thanks for the reply with the excellent information, It is all this additional information kindly provided by members, which will enable me to put the complete picture together.

Again, many thanks.

IPT.

Many thanks for the very interesting information and the link to the R.F.C. Gazette entry for 1917.

I am right to assume R.F.C. was the Royal Flying Corp ?

if, so that would make Stannus Douglas-Jones one of the very early Officers in the R.F.C. ?

All the dates tie in as I know he was Commissioned into the Coldstream Guards in December 1917.

Here is a much better photograph of 2nd. Lt. Stannus Douglas Jones' .445 Webley Mk.V1 Service Revolver.

The revolver is in superb original condition with matching serial numbers to the frame, cylinder and barrel.

It has not been deactivated, and is in excellent working condition. Importantly, it has not been altered to .45 as so many Webley Mk.V1s have by shaving the cylinder, and is still in lt's original .445 calibre.

Also, it has the added rarity of having Webley Factory Fitted Walnut Grips, which I have never seen before on a Webley Service Revolver Mk.V1.

With respect, it is a .455 inch revolver, not a .445! I presume you are in the US or Canada, but in the UK virtually all Webleys are still in their original calibre.

Also, as a private purchase it was not that unusual to have wanut grips. I have owned and seen several over the years.

Otherwise a very nice collection.

Regards

TonyE

TonyE

Many thanks for the reply, and for correctly pointing out the typo error.

Yes, the revolver is still in it's original .455 Calibre, and as you know so, so many of the Mk.V1s had their cylinder shaved to accomodate the American .45 bullet.

Fortunately, this one is unaltered.

The Walnut grips are superb, and unfortunately the photographs do not do the revolver justice.

I appreciate your reply and comments.

Many thanks.