Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signaller`s Badge

PhilB

Pte F.Buckley MM, Accrington Pals, shows his signaller`s badge on his arm in one shot and on an armband on the other. Any comments?

post-2329-0-06796400-1300645202.jpg

post-2329-0-16142900-1300645212.jpg

Pte F.Buckley MM, Accrington Pals, shows his signaller`s badge on his arm in one shot and on an armband on the other. Any comments?

As a Lance Corporal it would be normal to wear the badge above the chevrons if qualified to instruct (as an assistant), whereas when a private he is required to wear his qualification/trade badge on lower left arm. The use of armbands was as you know common as it meant that the badge can easily be moved from one tunic to another, particularly useful if you have only one badge.

Phil,

I think you will find that the band is blue and was worn by Reg't and Company Signalers on Left Forearm.

This was common ordered practice from 1916 till end of War.

Joe Sweeney

Phil,

I think you will find that the band is blue and was worn by Reg't and Company Signalers on Left Forearm.

This was common ordered practice from 1916 till end of War.

Joe Sweeney

Yes, I had noticed that armbands did not seem to be used before 1916 Joe. It's interesting that once he is promoted to LCpl he no longer seems to be required to wear one, unless it was taken off for the photo, which seems unlikely.

Thanks for the info, gents. Were there signallers other than "Reg't and Company Signalers"?

The Royal Engineers provided the main 'Signal Service' and, as well as providing higher formation communications, trained the regimental signallers for the other arms and services of the Army.

Sorry, I should have made it clear - were there signallers in a battalion other than regtl and coy signallers?

Sorry, I should have made it clear - were there signallers in a battalion other than regtl and coy signallers?

I am not sure I understand the question Phil. There were signallers at company level (A,B,C,D, etc), ergo 'company signallers', and there were signallers at regimental level (Bn HQ), ergo 'regimental signallers'. There were no others within a battalion that I am aware of, although towards the end of the war, and for specific operations requiring it, Signal Service personnel might be temporarily attached to a battalion to assist with rearwards communication. However, I understand that this was a rarity because of the fluidity of the battlefield from the Battle of Amiens onwards.

Just a thought - this is not the worsted badge but appears to be a metal version (unofficial?) so perhaps dressing up for the camera.

Just a thought - this is not the worsted badge but appears to be a metal version (unofficial?) so perhaps dressing up for the camera.

The metal badge seems to have been used a great deal. The wound stripes were unofficial too, but you still see more of them than the cloth version. For that reason I never get too fixated about what is official, or unofficial, but just observe what the soldiery actually did.