Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recent Find: Air Service Uniform

4thGordons

An aquaintance of mine recently rang and said that he had a WWI uniform that he had picked up at a local sale years ago and that had been in his garage since - he heard I was interested in stuff like this so would I be intersted in buying it. I had a quick look and I brought it home:

HERE is a link to a set of photos I took unpacking the tupperware tub it was in.

At the bottom of the box there was a carefully folded flag of the sort provided to next of kin upon the burial of a veteran and two rather crumpled photocopies of pictures of (I assume) the individual to whom the uniform belonged.

The pictures are labelled:

V.R.Webb Aged 20 National Guard

Sgt V.R.Webb Aged 22 Sept 15 1910

and

V.R. Webb Kelley Field Texas 1918

So now the hunt begins to find out more about Sgt Webb (born @ 1888). So far I know he was a pre war national guardsman (although not which state - although I suspect somewhere in the midwest) who served in the signal corps/air service at Kelley Field in Texas during the Great War and (later?) golfed at the "sunnyside golf club"

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I see a signals badge in there. Makes sense that he was Air element.as the USA first had the planes in the Signals. Have you had any luck in tracking the gentleman?

I see a signals badge in there. Makes sense that he was Air element.as the USA first had the planes in the Signals. Have you had any luck in tracking the gentleman?

Unfortunately I have had little or not time to work on this since I posted the pictures. About all I have done is store them a bit more sympathetically.

I will get around to it one of these days (weeks? months?)

Chris

Wow a lovely sleeper...well done.

TT