Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambridgeshire Rgt cap badge

jay dubaya

Hi folks,

what is the reasoning behind the 2 spellings of Cambridgeshire and Camridgshire on the regimental cap badge?

cheers, Jon

Hi folks,

what is the reasoning behind the 2 spellings of Cambridgeshire and Camridgshire on the regimental cap badge?

cheers, Jon

There was an urban myth that the missing 'e' was used to remind the British public, Home Guard and ACF that whenever they looked at the badge something was missing from Cambridgeshire: i.e. the men of both battalions of the Cambridgeshire Regt who were prisoners of the Japanese. During WW2 the badge without the 'e' would only have been worn by HG and ACF post December 1941.

In reality I suspect that is an old wives tail and that the truth is something more anodyne like a manufacturing fault. The badge without the "e" appeared when the 1st Bn was stationed at Weeting Hall early on in the war before it went overseas in late 1941. This was when the missing "e" was first noticed and they were all supposed to be returned. It is die-struck and the brass scroll superimposed over the white metal.

They were issued to the Home Guard and Cadet units around the county and the surprising thing is the number of these "mistakes" that are around.

Thanks for that Frogsmile, clearly not all were returned, odd though that a spelling mistake such as this would be circulated at all.

Jon

Thanks for that Frogsmile, clearly not all were returned, odd though that a spelling mistake such as this would be circulated at all.

Jon

I suspect it was to do with the wartime mentality of 'make do and mend'. In the big scale of expenditure it must have seemed a very 'small fry' issue indeed.

There was an urban myth that the missing 'e' was used to remind the British public, Home Guard and ACF that whenever they looked at the badge something was missing from Cambridgeshire: i.e. the men of both battalions of the Cambridgeshire Regt who were prisoners of the Japanese.

Growing up, as I did, in Cambridge in the 60's and 70's I was very aware of the number of men locally who had been guests of the Emperor for the best part of 4 years. Quite by chance, in about 1990, I picked up a small home-produced booklet in Waterstone's. t was entitled "My Father, My Hero" and is the story of one man's war, told by his son. It's very moving (the son recalls hearing his dad's nightmares throughout his growing up.

It was made all the more poignant for me when I realised the subject was a dear bloke who had been the Security man at the Cambridge Evening News, where my first full-time job was. It brought home to me exactly how the fathers of some of my school friends had spent their war.

Sorry if it's off-topic, but it's something close to my heart.

It's a small world at times Stephen thanks for sharing.

I can't see that a spelling mistake such as this did a lot for the Esprit de Corps of the HG and ACF, but like you say 'make do and mend' was the motto of the day and no doubt it was easier to palm them off on to such units.

Jon

I noted Frogsmile's comment with interest

'It may just be another myth, but I have been told that the missing 'e' was used to remind the British public, Home Guard and ACF that whenever they looked at the badge something was missing from Cambridgeshire: i.e. the men of both battalions of the Cambridgeshire Regt who were prisoners of the Japanese. During WW2 the badge without the 'e' would only have been worn by HG and ACF post December 1941.'

It appears to be a straight copy & paste from an entry on British & Commonwealth badge Forum thread submitted by me. An appreciation of sources would be useful as it may allow others to guage the validity of the comment.

For completenes sake I've added the photo I submitted with my original thread. They are official press authorised versions which may belie the thought that the badge was an error.

Regards, Stephen.

post-38184-0-23632400-1300402306.jpg

post-38184-0-63056800-1300402318.jpg