Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Find

David B

Was listening to the local TV news tonight (15th March) when it was reported that at a local second hand book sale a medal (A 14-15 star) was found in he pages of a book for sale.

The name inscribed on the rim was W illiam Henry Clarence Banks.I have had a quick look at possible Australians with that name with no luck. Has any other pal got any further info in the

owner of this medal. I assume it is a 14-15 star as few Aussies received the 14 star, but either option could be viable.

A quick trawl pulls up this:

Description Medal card of Banks, William H C

Corps Regiment No Rank

Wiltshire Regiment 36399 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/1

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Phil,

Fancy a medal turning up out here, I am guessing that it was in the possession of family who migrated. Will try and follow up.

Wonder if his BWM & Victory medal might turn up in other volumes (and possibly his plaque in weightier tome - Sorry :lol: )

NigelS

Edit: wonder what the book title was?

Makes you wonder whether it is worth a follow up. I rang the local TV station tonight and was informed that the news section had closed down for the night. Bl**dy local country TV.

BANKS, WILLIAM HENRY COLIN

Initials: W H C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: between 16/10/1918 and 18/10/1918

Service No: 35399

Additional information: Foster son of Minnie Hanson, of 4, Aire St., Middlesbrough.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. F. 10.

Cemetery: HIGHLAND CEMETERY, LE CATEAU

From Ancestry family trees:

William Henry Clarence BANKS

Birth 16 JAN 1879 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Death 15 SEP 1950 in Eltham North, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

MIC found is not the same person.

Was listening to the local TV news tonight (15th March) when it was reported that at a local second hand book sale a medal (A 14-15 star) was found in he pages of a book for sale.

The name inscribed on the rim was W illiam Henry Clarence Banks.I have had a quick look at possible Australians with that name with no luck. Has any other pal got any further info in the

owner of this medal. I assume it is a 14-15 star as few Aussies received the 14 star, but either option could be viable.

Hiya,David.

Just to be a pain,was there a photo?The stars didn't have rims,they were (as you know) stamped (usually badly) on the back in tiny letters & I doubt almost 100% that they put all his names on so,are the 3 Christian names correct? Any way to find out?

Ta,Dave.

Could it possibly be a family connection? Same regiment, same initials (i.e. family tradition); one dead, one not

19 pages of Service Records at the NAA, including this:

post-7172-0-75551500-1300190884.jpg

Receipts for BW and Victory Medals also there.

See what I mean?

mm3.jpg

So how did they know all his names?

I would imagine that somebody had already done some research on this before the story appeared: would his full name have appeared on the star? (IIRC it's the rear of the star that's marked as - if they can be said to have one - it's not actually possible on the rim)

NigelS

Edit: you beat me to it 59165!

post-8059-0-29490800-1300194667.jpg

post-8059-0-54348800-1300194754.jpg

There are four family trees on Ancestry for William Henry Clarence Banks

According to the one I looked at he died 15th September 1950 aged 71 Eltham North, Melbourne, Victoria.

The contributor may well have access to up to date relatives and can be contacted via the messaging system within Ancestry if you wish the Star to go back to the family.

I would be happy to contact them if you wish, or maybe someone else with Ancestry access would like to do this.

Susan

So how did they know all his names?

Written in the front of the secondhand book?

I will ask our dozy channel news room for any further info about his service number when they deign to arrive for work. Sorry about the placement of his service number, totally unforgivable of me to forget,

nothing like a bottle of Pinot Noir for supper :whistle: to dull the memory.

I would suggest that the medal has been used as a bookmark by the previous user and forgot that it was still in the book.

Cheers David

Needless to say I haven't had an answer from the news section of a local TV station. This doesn't surprise me of course, to them it is probably trivia (not to us though), so don't think there

is anything more I can do.

Susan. I was struck with one of the name of your voters list (no 7) It is the identical name of my aunt, only problem she was still living in the C.I. and hadn't come to Oz.:o

Susan. I was struck with one of the name of your voters list (no 7) It is the identical name of my aunt, only problem she was still living in the C.I. and hadn't come to Oz.:o

That is odd.

That was not the address she ended up at was it?

Maybe the date of publication (1919) is wrong.

Still I expect there are hundreds of thousands of people in the world with the same name(s).

It just freaks you out when you see "the very one" you are looking for or are related to.

No a different one Susan, my rel didn't arrive until a few years later, but as you say it really stuck out when I first looked at the roll.

Cheers

William Henry Clarence BANKS and his descendants are in my family tree on ancestry.com. Earlier this year I had been contacted by someone who is married to a Banks. But finding a direct living descendant apart from his wife and an aunt of hers who is an ex-service person WWII, is proving difficult. WHC BANKS and his four children's families lived in the suburbs around me in Greensborough, Victoria but they are so distantly related to my grandmother I don't know any of them. The local paper may be the way to go.

Frances

Frances,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the local paper did not run this story so am not sure whether they had any of the details. Was hoping that the AWM may have got in the act.