Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Medical wound tags, etc.

Ralph J. Whitehead

I recently came across a booklet containing 25 medical tags for wounds, illness and gas victims. Each had a different color border, full details on the patient, condition, medical treatment, doctor, etc. with details on both sides of the tag.

It did not have a date on it but looked the part. I was wondering if any members have a copy of these tags (small grommet at the top and string to attach to a uniform). I have copies on old photos but the details are not as clear as I would like and they are of course in black and white.

Hopefully a collector on the forum has one in their collection and would be willing to share a scanned copy. I appreciate any replies or information.

Ralph

If these labels are indeed from the Great War era, and not later, it's interesting that they are printed in Latin type rather than in Fraktur. The 'Wounded' label uses a sans serif face that I think is Accidenz-Grotesk (now spelt as Akzidenz-Grotesk), the ancestor of Helvetica and Univers. A-G is/was the official typeface of several national Red Cross societies, which may explain its use on the 'Wounded' label — especially if the label was designed to cover the possibility of the wounded man falling into enemy hands and the label needing to be read by a medic who was unfamiliar with Fraktur.

Many thanks Mike, these were quite helpful. I did find examples on the internet that were slightly different. THe ones I saw were also a bit different but contained the same information and the same format. The booklet has 25 slips, most for wounds, some for illness, some for gas poisoning.

I too suspect the font used was designed for ease of reading and possibly for enemy use if that occurred. I had no idea how difficult it was to locate examples of these slips as they were made in the millions and it seems so few have survived.

Thanks again.

Ralph

Just wondering why the coloured edges seem to be perforated - perhaps for tearing off as the casulaty passed through the medical "chain"?

Squirrel

The edges are perforated so that they could removed to denote the category of wounded or sick - this is explained at the top of the labels eg

"Marschfahig: kein roter streifen" translates as "Fit to walk/march, no red stripes".

M

I did a bit more checking on these tags. It came from a collection of souvenirs brought home by a soldier in the AEF and was part of a larger paper group of similar items.

I looked for the versions from WWII and the ones I found did not match these so I took the plunge and picked them up. They are difficult to scan as most are still attached to the card and cannot be laid flat fully. I managed to scan two fairly well, they are similar to the ones posted above but slightly different. I am still hopeful they fit into the Great War period and from all that I could find out it appears they might.

Ralph

post-32-0-15913500-1300239016.jpg

post-32-0-69834100-1300239077.jpg

Ralph

I'm afraid I can't confirm a date for the labels you show. Perhaps our friend Siege Gunner can give us a date based on the typeface?

Mike

Ralph's labels use the same typeface (which I am pretty sure is Accidenz-Grotesk) as one of the earlier ones, but are visibly better designed and laid out, and therefore evidently later. A-G was created in about 1908 and is still in use today, so the typeface in itself doesn't really help.

I suspect it could either be a late war item or possibly a variation of the form used by one of the German states possibly. I was able to locate some 1930-1945 versions and there is enough difference to support the information I obtained from the seller. Either way they are a great addition to the collection of odd and unusual items.

Ralph