Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC nominee but not granted

tharkin56

i have come across cases locally where it would appear that soldiers were recommended for VC but then not granted.

Can you find out why the nominations weren't followed through with a VC award.

any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Ponder heroical saved an officer from a hail of bullets having already bought back a wounded officer earlier that day. http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1624527

awarded DCM i seem to think i have seen something which i can't lay my hands on now that a VC had been mentioned.

Thanks

8959 Private C. Ponder, 2nd Bn, D.C.L.I. (LG 1 Apr. 1915) "For conspicious gallantry near St. Eloi on 15 February 1915, when he rushed forward at great risk under a heavy fire and dragged back to his trench a seriously wounded Officer".

post-27290-0-53314700-1301044758.jpg

post-27290-0-74059800-1301044777.jpg

many thanks what was the process for being awarded a VC, i guess you had to be nominated then concurred etc till the award was either granted or not.

Arrived in theatre December 1914, but awarded the 1915 star. Why would this be?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

because he didn't meet the criteria for the 1914 Star. That expired at midnight 22/23 Nov 1914. Hence his entitlement to the 14/15 Star as he arrived in theatre in Dec 14. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

Hi Nigel,

because he didn't meet the criteria for the 1914 Star. That expired at midnight 22/23 Nov 1914. Hence his entitlement to the 14/15 Star as he arrived in theatre in Dec 14. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

You learn something every day. I thought that it was the entitlement to the bar which expired then, with the medals continuing up to the end of the year.

Nigel

And having finally put my brain in gear, the penny dropped that, if the 1914 star had been awarded up to the end of the year, there would have been no need for a 14 - 15 star, a 1915 star would have been enough.

I get there eventually.

Nigel