Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish officer saber from Dardanelles

Florent

Hi,

A friend got this saber directly from the family.

Probably a german made saber for Turkish officer.

The handle got a bullet or a shell fragment which cut it !

The question I have is that the blade is engraved " Constantinople ", and I think that during ww1 the Turkish langage was still ottoman's style...

I need your opinion please.

Thanks

I put this thread in double in "Gallipoli" part forum ( please answer on it, there is already a response).

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161207

xbeftj.jpg

2rejms8.jpg

2usha93.jpg

A very interesting sword. I agree this may have been a gift from a German officer (or diplomat) to a Turkish officer. Yes at the time the Ottoman Empire used Arabic script with the 'Turkish' language. It is likely the sword was etched in Germany. The knot looks to be German, but I'm no expert in these things.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the specifics, but during Ottoman times, even in the early 20th Century, Istanbul was still called Constantinople, the old Byzantine Greek name. Think it went to Istanbul in the 1920's. The curators at the Askeri Mueze in Istanbul might have a good idea about it, but I have no idea if they respond to queries from private collectors. Last time I was there I was able to get into the Military Library attached to the museum, but I shamelessly traded on the fact that my father fought in the Turkish Army in 1915 to con my way in.

Possibly could have also been a German officer's sword.

Bob Lembke

PS: I think if the Museum put their collection, even only the partion on display, up on e-Bay they could buy one or two adjoining countries with the proceeds.