Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bemand; black officer, Royal Field Artillery, KiA 1916.

high wood

That is wonderful to see them "come to life"

I agree.

High Wood

Are you going to approach the NA about George E K Bemand being the first black officer dring WW1?

Centurian

IPT gave a link to information regarding Elsie Bemand in post #9

"High Wood

Are you going to approach the NA about George E K Bemand being the first black officer dring WW1?"

Myrtle,

I am not sure what I should do as it hasn't really sunk in yet. I am sure that we have made an important discovery which will have an effect on the claims made for Walter Tull and his place in black British history. In many ways George Bemand is in a more crucial position as regards black officers obtaining commissions having been born in Jamaica. Walter Tull was I believe, born in England.

I also believe that in each case their relative social positions were probably more important factors in their obtaining commissions than the colour of their skin.

Walter Tull achieved prominence in the field of professional football and was natural officer material, particularly at that stage of the war when there was a vital need to commission large numbers of junior officers after the slaughter of Loos, the Somme and Arras. He was intelligent, athletic and a team player which would have made him ideal junior officer material and possibly a natural leader of men.

George Bemand was public school educated, presumably from a well connected, wealthy background, a university graduate and a member of the University of London, O.T.C. so obtaining a commission would be a natural progression for someone of that background.

I have no doubt that both men deserve there place in history but I do begin to wonder if being a black British officer during the Great War was such a rare a thing as is sometimes claimed.

The challenge now is to find the names of other officers from a similar cultural heritage.

I have no doubt that we will all hear a lot more about George Edward Kingsley Bemand in the future.

Simon

"High Wood

Are you going to approach the NA about George E K Bemand being the first black officer dring WW1?"

Myrtle,

I am not sure what I should do as it hasn't really sunk in yet. I am sure that we have made an important discovery which will have an effect on the claims made for Walter Tull and his place in black British history. In many ways George Bemand is in a more crucial position as regards black officers obtaining commissions having been born in Jamaica. Walter Tull was I believe, born in England.

I also belive that in each case their relative social positions were probably more important factors in their obtaining commissions than the colour of their skin.

Walter Tull achieved prominence in the field of professional football and was natural officer material, particularly at that stage of the war when there was a vital need to commission large numbers of junior officers after the slaughter of Loos, the Somme and Arras. He was intelligent, athletic and a team player which would have made him ideal junior officer material and possibly a natural leader of men.

George Bemand was public school educated, presumably from a well connected, wealthy background, a university graduate and a member of the University of London, O.T.C. so obtaining a commission would be a natural progression for someone of that background.

I have no doubt that both men deserve there place in history but I do begin to wonder if being a black British officer during the Great War was such a rare a thing as is sometimes claimed.

The challenge now is to find the names of other officers from a similar cultural heritage.

I have no doubt that we will all hear a lot more about George Edward Kingsley Bemand in the future.

Simon

As each man could only have been at most one quarter of African stock I would be cautious about contesting Walter Tulls claim.

As each man could only have been at most one quarter of African stock I would be cautious about contesting Walter Tulls claim.

I am not sure that at this stage I am contesting the claims made by some on Walter Tull's behalf. What I think I have unearthed is that a black man of Jamaican descent was commissioned and later killed in action significantly earlier than Walter Tull was commissioned. I think that this adds significantly to our understanding of black British history and will have an effect on those claims about Walter Tull's place in that history. I am sure that in due course other officers of African heritage will be discovered to have served in the British Army during the Great War.

Simon.

I think that this adds significantly to our understanding of black British history

Simon.

I tend to think not, Simon. It points to something we`ve long known - the richer and better educated you are the less your skin colour matters. The lower class white could hardly look down on a coloured man who spoke and behaved like a public schoolboy and was accepted by them. Just a part of our class system of the time!

I tend to think not, Simon. It points to something we`ve long known - the richer and better educated you are the less your skin colour matters. The lower class white could hardly look down on a coloured man who spoke and behaved like a public schoolboy and was accepted by them. Just a part of our class system of the time!

Phil

Interestingly Jawaharlal Nehru wrote about his experiences of racial prejudice when he attended Harrow School during the early 1900s. He appears to have suffered at the hands of the rich and the educated.

There were also many people who came from the Caribbean to this country during the 1950s who had to work in manual jobs although they had already qualified as teachers or in other professions. The educational system in the Caribbean was of a high standard,(and still is) but this did not deter a number of the British working class people from looking down on the well educated immigrants.

Did you say there are photos of the officer concerned? I would be interested to see them.

I thought I had seen two photographs within this thread, but they seem to have disappeared?

Strange.

Simon

There is a photo and short obit for George Edward Kingsley Bemand in Roll of Honour for University College London. Also photos and obits for George and his brother Harold in the Dulwich College Roll of Honour. PM me with your email address if you want copies of any of the entries/photos.

Regards

Pam

2nd Lieut George Edward Kingsley Bemand, RFA

Born on 19 Mar 92, the son of George Bemand of Jamaica

Educated at Dulwich College from 1909-1911 (2nd XV) at at University College, London where he studied engineering

Joined the University of London OTC in Nov 1914

Temp. 2nd Lieut, RFA in May 1915

Underwent training at Grantham and Salisbury Plain

Went to France in Nov 1915 with 148th Brigade Ammunition Column, RFA

In Oct 1916 he transferred to Y/5 Trench Mortar Battery, RFA in the 5th Division

Killed by a shell near Bethune on 25 December 1916.

References: University College, London, University College Hospital and Medical School: A Record 1914-1919, Vol. I; Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919.

post-765-0-43059900-1300212929.jpg

Gunner Harold Leslie Bemand, RFA

Born on 17 Oct 97, the younger brother of G E K Bemand.

Educated at Dulwich College from 1914-1915

Intended entering the legal profession but soon after leaving Dulwich he enlisted in the RFA at Malvern

Posted to 14th Reserve Battery at Cosham, Hants.

In January 1916 he completed his training with 56th Reserve Battery at Woolwich

Proceeded to France in February 1916

In July 1916 he transferred to X/23 Trench Mortar Battery in the 23rd Division and served in the trenches until becoming sick in March 1917

After recovery he joined x/8 TMB

Killed in action on 7 Jun 17 while carrying trench mortar bombs across 'no-man's land' into recently captured trenches.

Reference: Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919.

post-765-0-44003700-1300213424.jpg

Simon

There is a photo and short obit for George Edward Kingsley Bemand in Roll of Honour for University College London. Also photos and obits for George and his brother Harold in the Dulwich College Roll of Honour. PM me with your email address if you want copies of any of the entries/photos.

Regards

Pam

Pam,

I would welcome a copy of the University College London obit. I already have a copy of the Dulwich College Roll of Honour and had already posted the images before I decided to take them down. They have now been reposted by another forum member. I will forward you my email address.

Simon.

Pam,

I would welcome a copy of the University College London obit. I already have a copy of the Dulwich College Roll of Honour and had already posted the images before I decided to take them down. They have no been reposted by another forum member. I will forward you my email address.

Simon.

Pam

Please will you also send me a copy.

Thanks Dick,

Have PMd Paul to let him know photos now in thread.

Susan

And here is George:

George E K Bemand

Arrival Date: 21 Oct 1907

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Ethnic Background: African (Black)

Port of Departure: Port Morant, Jamaica

Ship Name: Admiral Sampson

Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts

Friend's Name: Gerald Streadwick

Last Residence: Jamaica

Birthplace: Kingston, Jamaica

What is the source for this, please?

• 1 year later...
Guest greatwarlondon

I had meant to post here some research I did following on from the excellent work on this thread by High Wood and others. I wrote a blog post about it (here) but forgot to post.

In summary I had a look at Bemand's service record and it shows two things that I thought were interesting:

1 - he stated that he was of 'pure European descent'

2 - his form has the signature of the CO of the unit he wanted to join (30th (County Palatine) Divisional Artillery, the officer being Brig-Gen A.J. Abdy), saying 'I am willing to have him'.

There are some interesting questions around this: why did he say 'yes' in the 'European descent' question? Did he consider himself to be European, or was he told that the application would be rejected if he did not? Did the personal approval of Gen Abdy help his application for a commission? It certainly evokes a different story to Walter Tull the commissioned ranker.

The first officer of non-'pure European descent', apart from Indian officers, that I can find is Reginald Emmanuel Collins, who enlisted in the ranks of the Royal Fusiliers in Augusat 1915. He succwessfully applied fror a commission and attended Noi 6 OC Battalion, whose CO stated that he could not be commissioned because ofr his colour. TYhe War Office debated as to whether he should be dischjarged and sent back to the West Indies, where he was a civil servant, or be return to the ranks of the Royal Fusiliers. However, in March 1916 he was grante3d a cdommission in the British West Indies Regiment.

Charles M

• 10 months later...

I was asked recently to research a family story, that involved a chap who was killed on Boxing Day in WW1 "together with his commanding officer"

Corporal Frederick Alexander Cook, 87427 RFA died on 26th December 1916 aged 20, from Bishops Waltham in Hampshire. He is buried next to George Bemand, his comanding officer, in Le Touret Military Cemetery.

Does anyone happen to know of any other details of the incident which lead to their sad loss of life?

Wizzie

According to the Dulwich College War Record 1914=1918 George Bemand was killed by shell fire. You would need to see the Battery War diary in order to get a more detailed account.

I had meant to post here some research I did following on from the excellent work on this thread by High Wood and others. I wrote a blog post about it (here) but forgot to post.

In summary I had a look at Bemand's service record and it shows two things that I thought were interesting:

1 - he stated that he was of 'pure European descent'

2 - his form has the signature of the CO of the unit he wanted to join (30th (County Palatine) Divisional Artillery, the officer being Brig-Gen A.J. Abdy), saying 'I am willing to have him'.

There are some interesting questions around this: why did he say 'yes' in the 'European descent' question? Did he consider himself to be European, or was he told that the application would be rejected if he did not? Did the personal approval of Gen Abdy help his application for a commission? It certainly evokes a different story to Walter Tull the commissioned ranker.

Hello,

It is quite common to claim the father's (dominant side) heritage and such it was with Bemand. He's mulatto as a result of his mixed blood (his mother clearly being black) but because of his father's standing and social status he stated 'pure European decent'. The photo shows a handsome young officer clearly of mixed blood.

By this point in the war, to bar a non-white man from becoming an officer was against the King's Regulations.

Charles Messenger mentions the Collins incident but I wonder how true this was as was clearly against the law, and confirmed by his subsequent posting to the WIR.