Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI Uniform

Max

Hello Everyone

This fine, happy looking chap is supposed to be my GGUncle Joe Bradley. He was in the KOYLI from start to finish and survived the war without a scratch. Problem is at the end of hostilities Joe would have been 34 years old and this fellow looks far too young.

I know that the photo is not of top quality but could anyone tell me what vintage it is likely to be.

Andy

post-23-1088604994.jpg

I would date this photo anytime between c1938-40, as although he is wearing Service Dress, his belt belongs to the 1937 Pattern Equipment, so would not have been available during the Great War.

Thanks for that Andrew

You have cleared up one mystery.....but created another one. Who the h**l is it? :ph34r:

Andy

That`s the same pattern belt I was issued with in the fifties. It was then worn with the waist length tunic. This man appears to have a hip length tunic. Presumably that style didn`t last long, as we only see the shorter tunic in WW2? Phil B

Could it be a bit of a mix and match job. Pieces from different periods and the photo taken as a lark?

Andy

Could it be a bit of a mix and match job. Pieces from different periods and the photo taken as a lark?

Andy

Many people were still wearing the Service Dress uniform, mostly for "best" in France 1939-1940.

Some soldiers were wearing it even later in the war, mostly people who "had some time in" and were issued with it before Battledress became the common issue.

Pre-War uniform items were the badge of the "Old Soldier", and some war time soldiers aquired pre-war stuff for walking out. My own father won a khaki peaked cap in a game of 'pontoon' and wore it to dances etc, instead of a side hat. I still have it.

It must have been fairly common to see the 37 pattern belt worn with Service Dress.

Andy

I'm with you. He's carrying a stick, rather like a Warrent Officer.... but I don't see any insignia. He's also smiling a little too much for a pic "to be sent home".

Les.

Andy

I'm with you. He's carrying a stick, rather like a Warrent Officer.... but I don't see any insignia. He's also smiling a little too much for a pic "to be sent home".

Les.

Surely its just a swagger stick?

Thanks for the input guys,

I've looked at this photo many times and always assumed that the thing in his left hand was a cap with the KOYLI badge showing. My eyes really are bad.

Andy