Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible non comm ? Category Two

W.J.Caughey

Hi everyone, starting to learn but still need help, Ex Trooper 1639 Alexander Ballantine 8th Hussars, first joined service in 1907 then

discharged no longer fit for military service in 1915 then died sometime in August 1918. if someone has the time to look at pension papers and just tell me what they think and

would i still need DC + does having a Military funeral give any sway to MOD in there decisions.

Can email the 13 pension papers if PM .

Link to ancestry Pension.

http://search.ancest...ishArmy&indiv=1

Kind regards Walter

post-64827-0-04567600-1299965157.jpg

post-64827-0-86342300-1299965273.jpg

post-64827-0-24837100-1299965859.jpg

Yes, you would need the death certificate - and it will need to clearly link cause of death to cause of discharge. This could be a bit tricky as the papers seem a bit vague on the actual cause - but it appears to be some unspecified heart trouble.

When you've got the certificate, if you'd like some advice from the In From the Cold Project, please contact us through our website (see my signature)

John

Walter,

Looks like her served in India and South Africa. It seems as the medical board has found that he had illnesses before enlisting.

You will definitely require the DC for confirmation, and the MOD will also require this for them to make their determination.

Cheers Andy.

Hi, i have a funny feeling the DC will just say cause of death his heart trouble, so if he died from heart trouble which he suffered from would that be good news.

Thanks Walter

Walter,

I do believe that the DC's do go into greater detail. The people who could confirm this are John Hartley and Terry Denham, the founders of the In from the Cold Project. They are the experts on DC's.

Cheers Andy.

This Page would appear to be the clincher. The phrase AGGRAVATED BY SERVICE SINCE DECLARATION OF WAR appears. Of course his DC would have to show a cause that is linked to valular disease of the heart.

Do you know where he is buried?

Chris

so if he died from heart trouble which he suffered from would that be good news.

Obviously not good news for him. But good news in terms of getting him commemorated. As I said earlier, the sole question is only ever is cause of death linked to cause of discharge. Simples.

The death certificate is likely to be quite specific about causes, just as they are nowadays.

Hi and thanks everyone, i think he his buried in Donaghadee, Co Down, the newspaper notice was in the August 1918 edition, not sure what date in August it appeared, i just wanted to make sure

i had a bit of a case before buying another DC, used up all my charm with the GRO people trying to get information before purchasing last DC.

Kind regards Walter.

• 9 years later...

I ran this case by Terry Denham but unfortunately it's a no go. Alexander Ballantine did die from heart disease in Ireland on 5 August 1918, but I'm guessing it's the final decision of the medical board that rules him out.

GBM_WO363-4_007264131_01814.jpg.86ee3f0dd41d8ad8627e132c6abe14bc.jpg

Having a problem reading that Paul

1 hour ago, chrisharley9 said:

Having a problem reading that Paul

"This man's present condition cannot be regarded for pension purposes as due to or aggravated by (a) service since declaration of war (b) climate (c) ordinary military service"

Thanks Paul