Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lb Cartridge

johnnie

Dear All,

I have just picked up a 2lb cartridge case which has rather a lot of head stamps on and I was wondering if any members could suggest what they mean. I think it was originally made in 1917 and then possible re-filled in 1923/24 but I'm not sure.

I was also wondering if it was for a Naval gun?

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

PS. I was also wondering why half of the base has notches marked on it.

post-11843-0-77357400-1299934229.jpg

post-11843-0-58459600-1299934335.jpg

It looks like it started out in 1917 as a 2Pdr. as you thought, and then was used as a sub-calibre round in the 1920s.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but a sub-calibre round was used in a small calibre rifled tube (often an obsolete gun) fitted inside a heavy calibre weapon for economic practice. They could be fitted in anything from a six inch upwards.

Your case was schleroscoped (like X-ray) as indicated by the "S" and was primed and reloaded at Royal laboratory, Woolwich, "RL".

I cannot read the initials inside the diamond at the top, but that was probably the original maker of the case.

Edit: forgot to mention "CF" indicates load with Cordite Full Charge.

Regards

TonyE

Would the H.A. stand for High Angle, suggesting it was a subcalibre round for 3" AA use? I also have a vague memory of seeing somewhere on here that N-> indicated Naval use.

Regards,

MikB

Primer Percussion QF Cartridge No 5 was used in QF one and half and 2 Pr guns (Used only by the Royal Navy and R.A.F.)

John

Would the H.A. stand for High Angle, suggesting it was a subcalibre round for 3" AA use? I also have a vague memory of seeing somewhere on here that N-> indicated Naval use.

Regards,

MikB

Sorry Mik, I should have confirmed that the "N" indicated Naval use but I rather took that for granted when I said they were for use in anything from six inch upwards. My fault for assuming too much!

I think you may well be correct about the HA meaning "High Angle". Perhaps that particular sub-calibre tube had some means of retaining the round in position when loading at high angle, something not necessary in a normal elevation weapon.

Regards

TonyE

Many thanks for all of the replies on the cartridge.

The initials in the diamond shape at the top are VO is that helps at all.

Would the later notches marked around half of the base of the cartridge relate to it's later sub calibre use or something else?

Johnnie