Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown badge

pooter

This insignia was found with my wife's grandfather's Great War medals. He was in the West Surreys but this is not their badge any ideas please? The red cloth background it is on has puzzled me, the backing is metal and it has a cotter pin which lets you remove the insignia from the metal.

12March2011002.jpg

This insignia was found with my wife's grandfather's Great War medals. He was in the West Surreys but this is not their badge any ideas please? The red cloth background it is on has puzzled me, the backing is metal and it has a cotter pin which lets you remove the insignia from the metal.

It is the arm badge of a British Army Bandsman (for proficiency). The band master wore a larger version above his badge of rank.

post-599-0-07663600-1299925873.jpg

Arm Badge

post-599-0-95914600-1299926047.jpg

I would suggest Bandmaster, given the scarlet backing. Antony

I would suggest Bandmaster, given the scarlet backing. Antony

The band masters version was (and still is) larger with a more pronounced base piece.

post-599-0-25210600-1299926805.jpg

The image shown in Frogsmiles chart has different leaves (sycamore or maple) whereas the one in the OP has oak - any significance?

Bandsman. Both images courtesy of British Military Badge Forum.

post-599-0-06728500-1299926917.jpg

That's a nice point, Frogsmile, but I'm afraid I can't see it. The badges posted (great collection) have considerable differences among them as to size and design details and the OP seems very like the badge right in the centre, top row (only different crown and brighter/gilded?). Cheers, Antony

That's a nice point, Frogsmile, but I'm afraid I can't see it. The badges posted (great collection) have considerable differences among them as to size and design details and the OP seems very like the badge right in the centre, top row (only different crown and brighter/gilded?). Cheers, Antony

Oh you doubting Thomas! Here is another badge of Victorian provenance complete with red backing. It is a well polished bandsman's arm proficiency badge (for a qualified bandsman) and not for the bandmaster. The designs are indeed similar, but there are subtle differences in design and size between both the badge itself and the units interpretation of it (in terms of coloration, etc). The red felt backing has no significance in terms of rank. The RA had their own version.

post-599-0-44024000-1299927387.jpg

Well, at least he was playing the lyre :whistle: . Thanks for your patience, F. I'll let this go until OP proves his wife's g/f was a Bandmaster, at which point you can put a drink up for me in Skindles. Cheers, Antony

The image shown in Frogsmiles chart has different leaves (sycamore or maple) whereas the one in the OP has oak - any significance?

The British army badge has oak leaves, the badge on the first chart that I showed has stylised Canadian maple leaves because it shows badges used by the Canadian army. The overall badge design remains the same.

Thank you for all the prompt replies which has lead me to look at some old photos also found with the medals and lo and behold here is a group of West Surrey's with my wife's grandfather sitting front left. They all appear to have the isignia on their arms which looks like they could be the band. The photo is marked "Dalhousie May 1918".

DalhousieMay1918Fgfrontleft.jpg

Thank you for all the prompt replies which has lead me to look at some old photos also found with the medals and lo and behold here is a group of West Surrey's with my wife's grandfather sitting front left. They all appear to have the isignia on their arms which looks like they could be the band. The photo is marked "Dalhousie May 1918".

They are all bandsmen in khaki drill uniforms (KD) with the lance corporal in the centre being the senior man present. Notice that the badge is worn on the upper arm, irrespective of rank, and that many have a red felt backing, which was particularly common (but not universal) in KD. Several have a good conduct badge (inverted stripe on left forearm) indicating 2 years blemish free service and one has the marksman's badge of crossed rifles. I believe that Dalhousie was a governor's residence in India, but my memory might be faulty on that score.

Darn!! There goes my drink. Antony