Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quetta Government cemetery

The Monkey God

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any pictures of Quetta Government cemetery that they could share?

Does anyone know where it is? I have surfed the net but can`t seem to find anything about it.

Gordon.

Thanks Sandie, same problem here, can`t access it (from work) but will certainly give it a bash when I get home, so many thanks for that. Since I posted my orignal thread I`ve done a bit of digging and via google earth have found the Quetta Christian Cemetary but have drawn a blank with regards to the Quetta Government Cemetary. I wonder if these are in fact one & the same? Gordon.

The youtube link is to the Christian cemetery but all the photographs are military, you could be right about them being one and the same.

Good luck,

Sandie

Hi Sandie, got the link to work from home. It appears that there are at least 4 cemetarys in Quetta, however, none of them that I can see are called government cemetary. So at this time I`m still none the wiser lol.

CWGC gives details for the soldier I`m researching as...

Private JOHN MARTIN

7022, 2nd Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

who died

on 26 June 1918

(Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXV. E. 2457.).

Gordon.

Martin isn`t alone there it would seem............

BRIAN HARFORD MORRISON

Lieutenant 22nd Punjabis

who died on Monday 9 June 1919 .

Additional Information: (Buried Quetta Govt. Cemetery XXVII. 2351.) Cemetery: DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE) India Grave or Reference Panel Number: Face 2 Haileybury Register 1862-1983 Thomason 1913-15 son of G. Morrison born 31 October 1898 Died of wounds at Quetta India of wounds received on Afghan Frontier

&.............

POTTInitials:D R BNationality:United KingdomRank:Shoeing SmithRegiment/Service:Royal Field ArtilleryUnit Text:102nd Bty.Age:23Date of Death:19/10/1918Service No:910978Additional information:Son of Daniel and Emma Pott, of 80, Glenfield Rd., Dover. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXXI. 3024.).Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Face 1.Memorial:DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

& a woman........

Letita Gladys Moreton Died 11 November 1916

Place of Death Quetta, India

Cause of Death Enteric fever

Cemetery or Memorial Details 43 Delhi Memorial India

War Grave Register Notes MORETON, Sister Letittia Gladys. Australian Nursing Service, attd. Australian Gen. Hosp. No. 2. Died of enteric 11th Nov., 1916. Age 26. Daughter of Samuel Henry and Letetia Dexter Moreton. Born at Brim, Victoria, Australia. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. 209

Rank Staff Nurse

Unit Australian Nursing Service attached Australian Gen Hosp No 2

Service Army

&................

Name: MELLIS

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 270th Coy.

Date of Death: 30/10/1918

Service No: 119084

Additional information: Son of Margaret Mellis, of 43, Eskdaill St., Langholm, Dumfriesshire, and the late Alexander Mellis. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXXIII. 3183.).

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Face 23.

Memorial: DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

post-49761-0-31979400-1299869004.jpg

From TWGPP:

Martin, John

Delhi%20Gate.JPG

Cemetery: Delhi Memorial (India Gate)

Area:

Official Number: 7022

Unit: 2nd Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:

26/06/18 Face 1. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXV. E. 2457.).

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 about John Martin

Name:John Martin Birth Place:Kilcock, Ireland Residence:Kilcock Death Date:26 Jun 1918 Death Location:India

Enlistment Location:Gosport, Dorset Rank:Private Regiment:King's (Liverpool Regiment) Battalion:2nd BattalionNumber:7022 Type of Casualty:Died Theatre of War:Asiatic Theatres

None of this helps you any, sorry. I can't find anything else.

Thanks Sandie. No surprises there an Irishman enlisting in the Liverpool Regiment, but what is interesting that he did this via Gosport??

From all the evidence, scant as it is that I`v been able to glean from the internet. I think its a safe bet (unless anyone can they me differently) that the Christian Cemetary & the Government Cemetary are in fact one and the same.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello folks; try QUETTA CANTONEMENT CEMETERY, my unkle,harry william lloyd,scottish rifles,was buried there in 1924.the cemetery is in poor overgrown condition with no maintainence due to the troubles over there.i got this info from C.W.G.C.,about a month or so ago. regards ed

hello folks; try QUETTA CANTONEMENT CEMETERY, my unkle,harry william lloyd,scottish rifles,was buried there in 1924.the cemetery is in poor overgrown condition with no maintainence due to the troubles over there.i got this info from C.W.G.C.,about a month or so ago. regards ed

Thanks Ed, thats very interesting. I assume that the soldiers buried therein in have CWGC head stones?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever further this ?

I've recently found this link which I'll be looking at and may be of some help.

Cemeteries

A BACSA (British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia) cemetery publication is

• Quetta: Monuments and Inscriptions by Susan Farrington, 1992 Covers the cemeteries, town's history, the staff college, railways, churches and the 1935 earthquake. See BACSA Books.

BACSA are in the process of putting the indexes to its cemetery books online and these indexes are free to browse. If an indexed name is of interest then application can be made to BACSA for details of the relevant burial inscription - charges apply for this service.

The BACSA Archive at the British Library has the following items: shelfmark Mss Eur F370: Cemetery Files

no.740: Quetta 1, Pakistan: Baleli Road: 1884-,

no.741: Quetta 2, Pakistan: Shaldara: closed; Lytton Road: closed; Earthquake

Not sure how much damage the earthquake in 1935 did to the cemeteries but above indicates some at least. I believe about a third of the cantonment was destroyed.

Tim

• 4 years later...

I'm in Pakistan but cannot go to Quetta for security reasons. I am working on contacts in Quetta which hopefully may get some photographs. This isn't easy to do so don't hold your breath.

5971ef82cee4a_Quettagraveyards.jpg.74b676d2f9bc1d5d1ffe13ce994884cf.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 21/07/2017 at 13:13, KONDOA said:

I'm in Pakistan but cannot go to Quetta for security reasons. I am working on contacts in Quetta which hopefully may get some photographs. This isn't easy to do so don't hold your breath.

Did you ever hear anything from your contacts? Im guessing not.

Indeed I did.

I had photographs taken of the existing cemetaries. However, due to the earthquake in the interwar years, we could not find any of the graves that were sought.

If you do a search, you may find the photographs in my profile posts.

Roop

5 hours ago, KONDOA said:

Indeed I did.

I had photographs taken of the existing cemetaries. However, due to the earthquake in the interwar years, we could not find any of the graves that were sought.

If you do a search, you may find the photographs in my profile posts.

Roop

Thanks. I looked at your link and had a good nosey at the photos. I think I have solved who they all were. But as you say, none are from WW1

15 minutes ago, temptage said:

Thanks. I looked at your link and had a good nosey at the photos. I think I have solved who they all were. But as you say, none are from WW1

Yes, thats probable. It was quite a disappointment to find no trace of any of the graves.

Roop