Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A strange "economy" jacket

Krithia

this is online and described as a "WW1 British 02 Economy Pattern Tunic 1915" ... as far as I know there is no such 'economy' jacket. This example does not conform to the either the O2 service dress jacket or the simplified variant which I think the word economy is relating too.

Any idea chums? It doesnt look right to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320662252991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Just what I have been thinking, I did'nt think the "economy" version had shoulder pads, and the pockets where longer, there is'nt a bandage pocket either on this one.

I prefer the MGC jacket.

I don't like anything about it I'm afraid. Label is wrong, shape is completely wrong. Not a lot going for it apart from that!

I can't for the life of me fathom the workings of ebay though...

Tocemma

could it be a VTC jacket? they had similar patterns, but still distinctly different. This with a pair of formation patches added to make iit sellable?

My guess is a post war jacket, with a bit of fabricating, including the paper label touch, to give it more the period feel. Not one I will be bidding on.

Sold for £977 !!

Reminds me of the words uttered by Major Clipton at the end of the Bridge Over the River Kwai. He shakes his head incredulously and says, "Madness! ... Madness!"

I reckon the "economy" was what was used to make it!! Antony

Sold for £977 !!

There's a saying, something about a fool and his money... :ph34r:

The seller included this information in the description:

" this item was offered a few months ago but the winner failed to pay! "

It's a real oddity, not something I've seen before or that I'd particularly want, but I'm inclined to believe that whatever it is, it is original. I have seen labels of various shapes, and I'd challenge anyone to stick one into a jacket and get it looking naturally creased and split like that one, and with no glue coming through. The double collar pleat looks unmessed with, and that lining would be incredibly difficult to put in. The photos are bad, but then this seller doesn't seem much good at photographing anything. We know that hybrids like this existed; there's been a previous discussion. This looks like a post-June 1915 SD but without pocket pleats. Why no field dressing pocket? It may have been ripped out. Or the tunic may be to a cadet unit, VTC or some other unit that didn't need them.

Yes the seller is in Lincs, but there's no need to tar us all with the same brush, even in jest! He's had some rubbish and some good things and they've all been similarly listed. Personally - and I don't know this seller - I doubt there has been any tinkering or intent to deceive.

Wainfleet,

I would imagine the label was 'distressed' before being glued in. The nomenclature on the label does not match any that I have ever seen. I'm afraid I have seen many recent examples of photocopier fakes that look very convincing. The dry transfer technology that is very cheaply available these days makes it increasingly easy for the fakers to produce very convincing items.

Have a look at this item which was offered to me a few years ago.

post-0-0-66583200-1299678134.jpg

This is a total fantasy item (I later discovered who had produced it) using an old cardoard box and a bit of canvas.

I have even heard that 'moth' damage is added to some items to make them look more convincing....

A further couple of points on the tunic. Assuming it is a hybrid simplified jacket, and such things are known to exist, I would expect it to have small size stays on the inner top pocket reinforcement, especially on a jacket purporting to be manufactured in 1915. Also if it had pockets of the unpleated type, then these were made longer to compensate for the lack of 'bellows' effect. This jacket has neither of these features.

The smaller sized upper pockets is something that I would associate with the WW2 produced SD jackets, which have this same combination, that is rifle patches and small size unpleated pockets.

It is also not possible to form an opinion on the material. Unfortunately colour can easily be manipulated in a digital photo to give any impression the seller wishes to give ie a more typical WW1 shade for instance.

As you have observed the double pleat looks clean, but it is impossible to form a 100% opinion from the photos supplied. All I can be sure of is that I would not touch it with a very long bargepole, and certainly not a £977 bargepole.

Tocemma

TE

You may be right about the label, I don't know, but you are more up on paper and printing tech than I am. I still think it would be extremely difficult to put in a new lining and make it look as convincing as this, but the pictures are too rubbish to be sure, even if you copy them and blow them up. Someone has either been very clever indeed or has something wacky, offbeam and correct.

I'm intrigued by this piece and would like to have a close look at it, or see some good photos. I think either would be enough to tell, one way or another.

W.

Add: If it's back on ebay in another couple of months, I think we'll know....